Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Alienware M17xR3

    Meet the newest member of the family...



    I pick it up on Saturday and let me tell you - it's absolutely AWESOME!!
    I've always had a thing for Alienware ever since I 1st heard about the brand back in 2000. However, the closest i ever got to one was standing outside the shop window drooling over it... (Yes, im just a big geek at heart... )

    Now, finally, after 11 years of drooling, i have one of my very own!

    The Specs:

    Fully 3D Capable.

    • Processor : Intel Core i7 Processor (2.00Ghz)
    • Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    • Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    • Display : 17.3in WideFHD (1920 x 1080) 1080P HD screen
    • Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    • Camera : Integrated 3.0 Mega Pixel HD Camera
    • Graphics : 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870M
    • Bluetooth : Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Card
    • Wireless : Intel Wireless LAN 6300 3x3 (802.11a/b/g/n) Card
    • Operating System : Windows 7 Professional (64 BIT)

    And much, much more...

    Its a lovely machine and with the Alienware extra's, such as the Alienware Control Centre that allows you to customize your Laptop - its just Amazing.
    Now if only it could make coffee too - it would be perfect.... lol :D
     
         

  2. #2
    Piccolosan's Avatar
    Status
    Piccolosan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    8,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    That does look sexy
     
         

  3. #3
    Senior Member -Hatake-'s Avatar
    Status
    -Hatake- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Really?
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    I love Alienware's, congratz man.
     
         

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Status
    Xenomorphia is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Hell yes! Nice, man.. Have fun with it. That thing is beyond orgasmic! :D
     
         

  5. #5
    Member Afternoontiger's Avatar
    Status
    Afternoontiger is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3



    drool
     
         

  6. #6
    Anduril's Avatar
    Status
    Anduril is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burp...
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Why are u making us suffer
    i have been drooling for the past 5 years now
    If eleventh is the charm then its still 6 years
    btw its a beast handle it with care and no coffee besides this beauty.
     
         

  7. #7
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorphia View Post
    Hell yes! Nice, man.. Have fun with it. That thing is beyond orgasmic! :D
    Rofl! :D
    Well now we know what gets you all hot and bothered...

    Quote Originally Posted by -HAN- View Post
    Why are u making us suffer
    i have been drooling for the past 5 years now
    If eleventh is the charm then its still 6 years
    btw its a beast handle it with care and no coffee besides this beauty.
    Because I’m a vindictive b@stard?!

    I feel your pain buddy... trust me; I thought I’d never get my hands on one of these beasts...
    Let’s hope you don't have to wait 11 years to get yours though!
    That being said... it was well worth the wait.
     
         

  8. #8
    BEEP!BEEP!BOOP! Sonne's Avatar
    Status
    Sonne is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Transylvania, with my queen in my arms.
    Posts
    12,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    I got the M18x



    Although I don't use it all that much.
     
         

  9. #9
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
    I got the M18x



    Although I don't use it all that much.
    AWESOME buddy!!! I was looking at getting the M18 - but it was a little out of my price range.
     
         

  10. #10
    BEEP!BEEP!BOOP! Sonne's Avatar
    Status
    Sonne is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Transylvania, with my queen in my arms.
    Posts
    12,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstorm83 View Post
    AWESOME buddy!!! I was looking at getting the M18 - but it was a little out of my price range.
    I didn't exactly pay full price for it... >.>
     
         

  11. #11
    Anduril's Avatar
    Status
    Anduril is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burp...
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstorm83 View Post
    Meet the newest member of the family...



    I pick it up on Saturday and let me tell you - it's absolutely AWESOME!!
    I've always had a thing for Alienware ever since I 1st heard about the brand back in 2000. However, the closest i ever got to one was standing outside the shop window drooling over it... (Yes, im just a big geek at heart... )

    Now, finally, after 11 years of drooling, i have one of my very own!

    The Specs:

    Fully 3D Capable.

    • Processor : Intel Core i7 Processor (2.00Ghz)
    • Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    • Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    • Display : 17.3in WideFHD (1920 x 1080) 1080P HD screen
    • Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    • Camera : Integrated 3.0 Mega Pixel HD Camera
    • Graphics : 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870M
    • Bluetooth : Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Card
    • Wireless : Intel Wireless LAN 6300 3x3 (802.11a/b/g/n) Card
    • Operating System : Windows 7 Professional (64 BIT)

    And much, much more...

    Its a lovely machine and with the Alienware extra's, such as the Alienware Control Centre that allows you to customize your Laptop - its just Amazing.
    Now if only it could make coffee too - it would be perfect.... lol :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
    I got the M18x



    Although I don't use it all that much.
    Starts crying in the ...........................emo corner.......
     
         

  12. #12
    turtles gamahiro's Avatar
    Status
    gamahiro is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    32,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    me and saraisthebeast
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Windows 7? That's like putting a lawnmower engine in a Lamborghini
     
         

  13. #13
    Senior Member Crocodile's Avatar
    Status
    Crocodile is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,547
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're into fitness? How about
    fitness dic in your mouth
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    I got the Area-51 Desktop I'm waiting for it to arrive xD ITS GONNA BE SO AWESOME
     
         

  14. #14
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by gamahiro View Post
    Windows 7? That's like putting a lawnmower engine in a Lamborghini
    Agreed buddy! But that’s what it comes out with as standard. I'm planning on reloading it with Linux during my weeks leave next week (Maybe Debian or Ubuntu). I haven't played around with Suse much either so i may just throw that in for consideration as well... My only concern is that Radeon GFX Cards are a little under represented on Linux...
     
         

  15. #15
    turtles gamahiro's Avatar
    Status
    gamahiro is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    32,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    me and saraisthebeast
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstorm83 View Post
    Agreed buddy! But that’s what it comes out with as standard. I'm planning on reloading it with Linux during my weeks leave next week (Maybe Debian or Ubuntu). I haven't played around with Suse much either so i may just throw that in for consideration as well... My only concern is that Radeon GFX Cards are a little under represented on Linux...
    I'm not happy with any of the ATI drivers.
     
         

  16. #16
    Administrator Zise's Avatar
    Status
    Zise is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Too far away
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Most my ATI cards works fine in linux, only problem I've had is my desktop that has crossfire cards, which wasn't supported and could only manage 1 card to run @ 1 gpu with some tweaking.
     
         

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kushan's Avatar
    Status
    Kushan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    I had a technogasm when I saw the specs !!!

    Just sharing !!!
     
         

  18. #18
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Zise View Post
    Most my ATI cards works fine in linux, only problem I've had is my desktop that has crossfire cards, which wasn't supported and could only manage 1 card to run @ 1 gpu with some tweaking.
    Thanks Zise. Thats good to know. Keep your fingers crossed that i don't experience any probs with my GFX after the reload! So not in the mood to have to troubleshoot another driver issue right now... lol :D
     
         

  19. #19
    turtles gamahiro's Avatar
    Status
    gamahiro is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    32,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    me and saraisthebeast
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    My workstation came with an ATI card. It ran fine for everyday tasks, but when I tried running Blender it had a lot of interface artifacts. I tried all 3 drivers to no avail. I never had any problems with NVIDIA based cards though.
     
         

  20. #20
    Administrator Zise's Avatar
    Status
    Zise is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Too far away
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by gamahiro View Post
    My workstation came with an ATI card. It ran fine for everyday tasks, but when I tried running Blender it had a lot of interface artifacts. I tried all 3 drivers to no avail. I never had any problems with NVIDIA based cards though.
    Guess I can try blender with my card when I get home in a week.

    I've never had any problems with my computers running with NVIDIA cards either the drivers is for sure a bit more stable.

    Also Alienware, they sure look good but you pay damn much for just the brand.. while you could get a similar machine alot cheaper elsewhere most of the times.
     
         

  21. #21
    Anduril's Avatar
    Status
    Anduril is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burp...
     



    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Zise View Post
    Also Alienware, they sure look good but you pay damn much for just the brand.. while you could get a similar machine alot cheaper elsewhere most of the times.
    Yeah but thats it no??
    U can go to work/college on a scooter but u can also go to work/college in a lamborghini :shrug:
     
         
    Last edited by Anduril; 08-05-2011 at 04:03 PM.

  22. #22
    Member Savior's Avatar
    Status
    Savior is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Alienware M17xR3

    I was thinking of getting a alienware but i heard some pretty dusty reviews..
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •