Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    WESLEY
    <3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Award suggestions for FFotM

Hi FF'ers

This is a suggestion thread for what prizes you guys would like to see in this contest.

The current prizes are:

Prizes:

1st Place
    A chance to change your username if you wish, cyan name & temporary larger avatar.
    A medal.

2nd Place
    A medal

3rd Place
    A medal.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suteki da ne!

Re: Award suggestions for FFotM

Can't really say much since this contest follows the same contest procedure as other ones. xD

How about 1-2 name change(s) for second place?

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I'm fine with the current system, but let the majority decide.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck Norris puns though xD.
    "Bullets dodge Chuck
    Norris ^.^"

Quote Originally Posted by RasenToad View Post
    Can't really say much since this contest follows the same contest procedure as other ones. xD

How about 1-2 name change(s) for second place?
    I've always thought the award for second place could be better. At least one more perk compared to third place. So I second this. A restricted number of username changes doesn't sound like a bad addition for the second place slot.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~The World Is A Vampire~
    I<3Azu

If the winner includes the word "Skorm" in their fanfiction, they win modship.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorm View Post
    If the winner includes the word "Skorm" in their fanfiction, I will run around my house naked shouting "Sara is the best" and post a vid about it.
    I second this

Last edited by ~Kobak~; 08-14-2014 at 04:21 PM.

With Great Power The Amazing Spider Man's Avatar
    Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Skorm View Post
    If the winner includes the word "Skorm" in their fanfiction, they win modship.
    Yes! Lawliet I third this!

Last edited by The Amazing Spider Man; 08-14-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Well, this depends on what you have in mind Sara. I remember not long ago, you asked about perhaps increasing the number of maximum contestants (when this contest was all high last year and prior I guess), as well as this this;

Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Thoughts on introducing an official 4th place position?
    Back then I answered with this suggestion;

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    [...]Like for example, 1-3rd gives larger ava and medal, while 4th only gives a medal or something... Speaking of which, the 1st place has been given a cyan name for ages now, but it's still not showing in the "price-list" as a reward for winning. Some people might be unaware of that...

Here's one example that could work:

1st place - Medal, temporary larger ava, possible name change & cyan.
    2nd place - Medal, temporary larger ava & possible name change.
    3rd place - Medal & temporary larger ava.
    4th place - Medal.
    I know you might not be thinking of a possible 4th place anymore, so without implementing one, my current suggestion would be just the same, just without a 4th place medal. See below in my next post.

Last edited by Michael92; 08-14-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: New thoughts posted in my next post.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suteki da ne!

Fourth Place would be awesome aswell, Picking from a bunch of FF's can be hard sometimes, so a fourth place slot and a trophy with it would be awesome.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Quote Originally Posted by RasenToad View Post
    Fourth Place would be awesome aswell, Picking from a bunch of FF's can be hard sometimes, so a fourth place slot and a trophy with it would be awesome.
    It is to be noted that a possible 4th place was thought of when there were between 8-12 people fighting each month to make the first eight spots for the contests, with each month's thread being filled up within the first 24 hours. Nowadays, we can barely get 8 contestants, yet alone having to wait over a week for the contest to kick off. At this stage, a 4th place medal might not be a good solution, especially as long as we're at a low interest level as we are now, though, I do suppose this could perhaps help change that - more awards and prices, more tempted people might get to join. This will have to be up to you to decide Sara.

That brings me back to the initial idea, as whereas having 10-12 people joining each month would mean less chance of getting an award compared to the current max 8 participants, therefore, implementing a 4th place medal would be just.

If we're going to stick with the current format, I think the following would be the best solution for possible new price/awards list:

1st place - Medal, temporary larger ava, possible name change & cyan. <--- Coming 1st should be beneficial, giving you all the awards on the list.

2nd place - Medal & possible name change. <--- Having a different price for 2nd and 3rd might be a good thing to better separate the two, instead of having everything 3rd has plus one more benefit if you place 2nd. Plus, a name change is something you get forever (if you choose to), while a temporary larger avatar is, well, temporary. Most people seem to join these contests to get a name change anyways.

3rd place - Medal & temporary larger ava. <--- See explanation above.

So in conclusion, 3 medals with the above prices, or 4 medals, with the prices listen in my previous post.
    I would go for this suggestion, at least until the FF Contest can regain its demanding interest of the writers of the past, and we finally start tipping the limit of 8 people participating again.

Last edited by Michael92; 08-14-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

In case, the FF section was still a mess with many new stories each day, I would have suggested stickying the chapters of those who placed 2nd/3rd for a week/month's duration. In that way, the winner gets the glory and better prizes but runner-ups get the medal as recognition and chapter-sticky to further increase their work's value.

But nowadays, most new stories don't really get lost among the piles and they do get attention, given the story's good. With some fanbase too obviously.

So, overall, I'd say... changes are not really that necessary.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    In case, the FF section was still a mess with many new stories each day, I would have suggested stickying the chapters of those who placed 2nd/3rd for a week/month's duration. In that way, the winner gets the glory and better prizes but runner-ups get the medal as recognition and chapter-sticky to further increase their work's value.

But nowadays, most new stories don't really get lost among the piles and they do get attention, given the story's good. With some fanbase too obviously.

So, overall, I'd say... changes are not really that necessary.
    I never thought of that before. Like you say however, this idea would have worked better in 2011-2012 when there was said chaos in the FF. section. On the other hand, what better price would there to be than to get a month's sticky?? I like the idea regardless, but like you said, it might not be too big of a thing nowadays.

And yes, there might not be a need to change the awards either for that matter, but if anything, the ideas are up for grab.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

How about the first place winning chapters getting stickied on the FF section for like the next month. That should also encourage writers to want to join and it'll passively advertise the FFOTM competiton for people who don't know much about it.

Then maybe Lawliet can like edit each of the chapters with something like 'Won First Place in so-and-so month' and maybe a link to that specific voting thread so that people will know why its stickied

For 2nd and 3rd place.......I'll have to do a little thinking. Will get back to you.

Edit: Haha...I see the sticky option has already been suggested.

Last edited by ~Uzumaki~; 08-18-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

One quick question Sara. Is the purpose of this tread just to see what we writers think and to take that information into mind for possible later purposes, or is this something you are planning to go through with? As in, are you planning to actually change things up if you find an idea you like??