Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Genius eyes of a generation

Explaining the enton: Kagu-tsuchi

There are certain, rather prevalent misconceptions regarding the power of Sasuke's right eye. Some claim that Enton: Kagu-tsuchi is that power, while Amaterasu serves as the power of the left eye.

This however, is simply not true if one spends the time to understand where Kagu-tsuchi originated or how Kishimoto chose to depict it in his manga. Many argue Enton: Kagu-tsuchi is as important as the other ocular powers [Amaterasu; Susanoo; Kamui; Koto'Amatsukami]. However, the jutsu is called Enton: Kagu-tsuchi. This by itself easily implies that it is part of a family of jutsu, because the "Kagu-tsuchi" term is preceded by an element.

Now, let's look at the etymology. The word "En" (炎) has been used several times to describe Amaterasu; Amaterasu is consistently described as flames rather than fire (火). Thus, Enton would mean Flame release. The word Kagu-tsuchi (加具土命) is the name of the Shinto Kami of fire and agricultural change, literally meaning glittering earth. His name refers not to fire, but to the material most associated with fire: earth and trees, as well as Mount Kagu. Mount Kagu by itself was the place where one of the stories of Amaterasu took place, and a sacred tree, beads, and a dance was used to lure her from a cave.

Now, this is where Kishimoto's story-telling comes in. Many of course know that the battle between Orochimaru and Itachi, was inspired by the myth of Susanoo and the Yamata-no-Orochi.

The Totsuka no Tsurugi is a power of the Susanoo, stored in it's lower right hand. Now, those who've read about the myth of Kagu-tsuchi knows that he inadvertently killed his mother during his birth. He was subsequently slain by his father, Izanagi, and his blood that was spilled by Izanagi's Totsuka no Tsurugi birthed additional new kami.

Now, how did Kishimoto use this myth in the series for inspiration? He made Enton: Kagu-tsuchi a jutsu that pierces things and causes them to burst into flames. Remember, the first time Sasuke used Enton: Kagu-tsuchi [While saying the name], it was an arrangement of spikes meant to kill the Raikage.

The third time he used it while mentioning the name, it was an attack to counter Kabuto's attacks.

The second time however, is perhaps the most important. This:

Is Sasuke using Enton: Kagu-tsuchi and the newly birthed Susanoo, in an effort to test his powers. This is essentially Kishimoto depicting the birth of Kagu-tsuchi, and the death of Izanami. Izanami represents Earth, and Zetsu is a clone of Hashirama, who is famous for Mokuton, and well, we know Zetsu for travelling around in the earth. Just as how he had depicted the Totsuka-no-Tsurugi during Itachi's battle with Orochimaru, Kishimoto is plainly depicting here that Enton: Kagu-tsuchi is a specific jutsu that serves as the counterpart to Itachi's Totsuka no Tsurugi. A weapon that causes things to die an agonizing fiery death rather than be trapped in a world of drunken dreams.

Remember, Sasuke's ocular power is exactly as Shee described:

Sasuke's right eye allows him to modify Amaterasu's conflagration any way he sees fit. However, Enton: Kagu-tsuchi is not the name of that power, but rather, something he created from that power. A attack meant for cutting. One of the bigger problems with assuming it is the ocular power of Sasuke's right eye, is that:

We have 3 Kaleidoscope Sharingan users who have strong ocular powers in either eye, and these powers are not dependent or either eye. The theory that Sasuke possesses Enton: Kagu-tsuchi in his right eye is fundamentally flawed when considering that Enton: Kagu-tsuchi is useless without the left eye, because it is essentially a modified Amaterasu. This would make Sasuke the only Kaleidoscope Sharingan user whose eyes don't follow the convention of having independent powers, and that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

This why during the other instances, he never says "Enton: Kagu-tsuchi":

But rather, brands the jutsu when it's meant for cutting. This ultimately culminated in Sasuke killing Zetsu, and leaving the cave.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Within the desolate recesses of the human consciousness
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bet I got some weed, bet I got
    some weed, bet she on her
    knees; bet she swallow ****,
    bet she love my swag, bet she
    leave yo ass

Re: Explaining the enton: Kagu-tsuchi

From what I gather (didn't bother to read much it's kinda late) I get what you're saying and I sort of agree. Enton though is controlled mainly because Sasuke has EMS and it is his unique ocular powers over Amaterasu that give him this power.

Sasuke 2-0 against Naruto Champ's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Madara turned Minato into the
    Yellow Trash

Good job

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you write threads is pretty familiar; are you by any chance affiliated with a member here, called "Varrah"?
    anyways.. back on topic; incredible thread, you pointed out a lot of things that do seem correct.
    but I'm kind of skeptical about this whole thing, because it seems like every individual who possesses the Mangekyō Sharingan or the Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan; has two exclusive abilities in each eye. and this has been shown throughout the course of the series; not only that, but even strongly hinted at some points [1] [2] ..

however, you may in fact be right; as I've always wondered about the reason as to why the Jutsu "Kagutsuchi" is seemingly derived from an element which is "Enton", as pointed out by you in this thread.

but like I said, incredible thread and I would like to see more threads from you in the future..

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    you were so close.

Nice job