Hybrid View

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what's for dinner!

Contraversial threads are good. Just got to know how to handle the situation.

Some threads have loads of information but its been buried in too many words and nonsense. It's hard to look into a thread like that and find something that's clear in a simple sentence that the point is needed to be remembered. Lack of respect for others have raised up contraversialy. When talking to others you can't let your own interest affect other. Cause even though the thread you make is interesting to you. Others might not have a taking from that.

Start with your view point to your readers. View them as friends not rivals. But do not be overly casual. Treat them with respect.

Speak extemporaneously. Put the ideas in your own words.

Communication. Speak from the heart. What is important is the point, not the impression you are making of others.

Improve your everyday conversation.

Threads that lecture rather then conversing with people sound rude.

Give careful thought to how you comment.

Before speaking, see whether this is the right time to discuss a matter.

Try to commend others.

This is important. Do not overreact when objections are raised.

Do not judge others and avoid being self-righteous.

With this in mind. I'm sure there are more threads to come that are, "Over the edge". So hopefully this help. At least one person.

Do you like contraversial threads or you try to avoid it?

Last edited by theRPGdude; 12-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.

IMMORTAL THREAD COG DeadManWonderLand's Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Silence is bliss,
    remember that before you
    speak"

Re: Contraversial threads are good. Just got to know how to handle the situation.

I get lost in my hypergeek moments i need to start taking notes from this thread lol

Status
    May 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Contraversial threads are good. Just got to know how to handle the situation.

Serious and sometimes controversial threads are interesting to debate provided that people follow general debating etiquette as you've pointed out. Unfortunately we see multiple threads closed because everything goes to hell and they become shouting matches where people attack each other rather than defending their own position. There are people of many different ages and beliefs here so it's a given that there will be at least a few who stray from debating and into direct insults as they aren't ready to have an open view which may be challenged. Controversial threads are huge catalysts for this because these topics, such as religion and sexuality, are often very personal to people and they're something that people are unwilling to change their viewpoint on. If people aren't willing to have their views challenged then they will lash out at those who do challenge them rather than defending their belief like a debater should.

Personally I like debating a bit and I'm fine with most controversial threads but there is a limit to that. The last controversial (if you would call it that) thread I commented on was the one about whether there was some connection between a hurricane hitting a city and that city having just allowed gay marriage. My response was that the thread was going to be closed because the topic was going to offend a lot of people. I didn't say this to be a little kill-joy but because by the time I posted there was already flaming and cursing happening. This was because the topic was something that a lot of members wouldn't be able to remain objective about and argue their opinion without resorting to personal insults.

I'm fine with controversial threads if they're handled well, unfortunately they very rarely are. That's what ruins it for most.

Edit: Woah I really should have paragraphed that slightly better.

Last edited by Iruka; 12-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Served fresh daily
    Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, it feels good to be a
    wangsta

I'm gonna continue to do the opposite of everything you just said.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wang View Post
    I'm gonna continue to do the opposite of everything you just said.
    You welcome. Gezz so rude. Don't even say thanks.

Served fresh daily
    Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, it feels good to be a
    wangsta

Quote Originally Posted by theRPGdude View Post
    You welcome. Gezz so rude. Don't even say thanks.
    Thank you.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Agreed, as always. The problem is people aren't open minded and they refuse to have an intellectual debate. Rather, they try to prove how good they are with insults, unfortunately.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makoto View Post
    Agreed, as always. The problem is people aren't open minded and they refuse to have an intellectual debate. Rather, they try to prove how good they are with insults, unfortunately.
    Agree.