Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Member AngryRock's Avatar
    Status
    AngryRock is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    DNA Photographed for the First Time

    DNA Directly Photographed for First Time


    Fifty-nine years after James Watson and Francis Crick deduced the double-helix structure of DNA, a scientist has captured the first direct photograph of the twisted ladder that props up life.
    Enzo Di Fabrizio, a physics professor at the Magna Graecia University in Catanzaro, Italy, snapped the picture using an electron microscope.
    Previously, scientists had only seen DNA's structure indirectly. The double-corkscrew form was first discovered using a technique called X-ray crystallography, in which a material's shape is reconstructed based on how X-rays bounce after they collide with it.
    So it turns out they were correct in the double-helix of DNA. This is an amazing accomplishment. So this begs a good question. What might be the next thing in science to be proven fact(In 50 years)?
     
         

  2. #2
    Banned
    Status
    'Nāpalm is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gettin that Money
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the Forum Rules
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    cool bro... that is sick
     
         

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    7,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    I may be uneducated, but what's this do for science really?
     
         

  4. #4
    Member kc8's Avatar
    Status
    kc8 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    i just learned this yesteraday in science
     
         

  5. #5
    IMMORTAL THREAD COG DeadManWonderLand's Avatar
    Status
    DeadManWonderLand is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    6,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Silence is bliss,
    remember that before you
    speak"
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    I may be uneducated, but what's this do for science really?
    A multitude of things.If we can unravel the mystery of DNA which this project and the one they dubbed encode are working on then we could eventually clone perfect copies of ourselves and wipe out disease and unlock are past.Not to mention the modifications to out bodies we could be turned into super humans or maybe have out life expanded
     
         

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    7,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManWonderLand View Post
    A multitude of things.If we can unravel the mystery of DNA which this project and the one they dubbed encode are working on then we could eventually clone perfect copies of ourselves and wipe out disease and unlock are past.Not to mention the modifications to out bodies we could be turned into super humans or maybe have out life expanded
    Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.
     
         

  7. #7
    . lubricati0n's Avatar
    Status
    lubricati0n is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.
    I also disagree with this cloning shit, but to dislike science in general because of it is silly.
     
         

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anorien16's Avatar
    Status
    Anorien16 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.
    Dont worry current technology is millenniums away to stop death (if ever possible) . . . only thing we can do is eliminate disease and expand our lifespan to its maximum potential.

    If u hate such cures try saying that to person with cancer or parents with terminally ill infant....... u might get an answer to your face.

    Quote Originally Posted by lubricati0n View Post
    I also disagree with this cloning shit, but to dislike science in general because of it is silly.
    Poe? If not, FYI cloning doesn't necessarily mean creating sentient beings, it can mean creating various forms of tissues from cells. Basically it will eliminate the need of organ donors: A person with liver damage can get liver cells etc

    Also how is science silly?

    On Topic:

    Well in 50 years we may:
    1. Find a good source of alternate energy..... we need it desperately.
    2. Prove macro evolution....... work underway......
    3. Reach the pinnacle of Virtual reality . . . . that wld be cool
    etc
     
         

  9. #9
    psychosocial YowYan's Avatar
    Status
    YowYan is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    At the Organization, decapitating Rimuto
    Posts
    11,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Now, if we can come up with some actual methods to use our 'junk dna' and activate it.. it might turn out into triple-helix dna!!! :o
     
         

  10. #10
    Wesobi's Avatar
    Status
    Wesobi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Running circles around a square house.
    Posts
    14,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    loveeeee the saraaaa the
    besttttt
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quite interesting really. I'm surely hoping this will help them in further investigating the cloning of various organs and perhaps even limbs. Would be a nice breakthrough for science and people in general.

    What would I like to see in 50 years, ... Well, as said before, a source of clean(er)/endless energy would be nice. If put to good (read: NON-DESTRUCTIVE) use.
     
         

  11. #11
    裏切り者 Zetsuen's Avatar
    Status
    Zetsuen is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    739
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    This is really amazing
     
         

  12. #12
    Member AngryRock's Avatar
    Status
    AngryRock is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by YowYan View Post
    Now, if we can come up with some actual methods to use our 'junk dna' and activate it.. it might turn out into triple-helix dna!!! :o
    Junk DNA has been proved untrue by many scientists. It was a term used a long time ago to describe DNA they had yet to figure out what they were.
     
         

  13. #13
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    A lot of credit isn't being given here to how much understanding completely our genetic material (DNA) could be used to cure diseases which result from mutations in the amino acid sequences of the double helix which prevent them from functioning properly. For example, most cancers are caused from defects or damages in coding sequences. If we understand our DNA more, we can treat the DNA base sequences directly in an effort to cure cancer. That's just an example.

    Thanks for sharing the picture, by the way. We actually just got through the genetics chapter in my Bio class, so I find this more interesting right now.
     
         

  14. #14
    Banned
    Status
    Ritsu is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorien16 View Post
    Dont worry current technology is millenniums away to stop death (if ever possible) . . . only thing we can do is eliminate disease and expand our lifespan to its maximum potential.

    If u hate such cures try saying that to person with cancer or parents with terminally ill infant....... u might get an answer to your face.



    Poe? If not, FYI cloning doesn't necessarily mean creating sentient beings, it can mean creating various forms of tissues from cells. Basically it will eliminate the need of organ donors: A person with liver damage can get liver cells etc

    Also how is science silly?

    On Topic:

    Well in 50 years we may:
    1. Find a good source of alternate energy..... we need it desperately.
    2. Prove macro evolution....... work underway......
    3. Reach the pinnacle of Virtual reality . . . . that wld be cool
    etc
    She/he didn't say science was silly. The user said "disliking science in general because of cloning is silly". :y
     
         

  15. #15
    Servant of Lord Sasuke Ldude's Avatar
    Status
    Ldude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Under a rock somewhere in Antarctica.
    Posts
    6,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put the dying in studying
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by -Kuro- View Post
    She/he didn't say science was silly. The user said "disliking science in general because of cloning is silly". :y
    Someone else said it was. I think he was responding to that guy who hates science.
     
         

  16. #16
    Banned
    Status
    Valen is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Cloning... Edo Tensei!
     
         

  17. #17
    Yugure's Avatar
    Status
    Yugure is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    オーストリア
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Nice, I think it would be interesting what parts of the DNA are responsible for certain functions...
     
         

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sanguis's Avatar
    Status
    Sanguis is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.
    I never knew there was a rule book that stated what humans can and cannot do, and what is right and what is wrong.
     
         

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anorien16's Avatar
    Status
    Anorien16 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    Someone else said it was. I think he was responding to that guy who hates science.
    Yeah, sorry i phased the sentence wrong....... i wanted to ask the guy who hated science was a poe.... then i elaborated on a common misconception about cloning.
     
         

  20. #20
    Member AngryRock's Avatar
    Status
    AngryRock is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorien16 View Post
    Yeah, sorry i phased the sentence wrong....... i wanted to ask the guy who hated science was a poe.... then i elaborated on a common misconception about cloning.
    What are the misconceptions about cloning?
     
         

  21. #21
    Senior Member Anorien16's Avatar
    Status
    Anorien16 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryRock View Post
    What are the misconceptions about cloning?
    Well i dont know about you but many people i have met thinks cloning is growing humans or other animals in a tube or usually related to embryo, and thus immoral ....... actually cloning can also refer to growing various tissues for implantation and according to recent development it can be done using bone marrow instead embryo......
     
         

  22. #22
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Posts
    6,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    That's one heck of a camera. I hope they have it in HD.

    Things I'd like to see in the next 50 years? Retinal displays. Like having video in your eye, and audio could just be in your ears for that matter. They're already working on it but it would be really nice to just get rid of these monitors. This would also cure blindness I'd imagine, if they can put a display in your eye it wouldn't be that much harder to just fix one's eyesight. Of course, the eye is the most complex thing in the body, so none of this would be easy.

    I certainly wouldn't want to be the first to test it though. You know that shit's gonna' be buggy as hell, I can't imagine how many things could go wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    A lot of credit isn't being given here to how much understanding completely our genetic material (DNA) could be used to cure diseases which result from mutations in the amino acid sequences of the double helix which prevent them from functioning properly. For example, most cancers are caused from defects or damages in coding sequences. If we understand our DNA more, we can treat the DNA base sequences directly in an effort to cure cancer. That's just an example.

    Thanks for sharing the picture, by the way. We actually just got through the genetics chapter in my Bio class, so I find this more interesting right now.
    Or you could just smoke marijuana, I here it prevents cancer if consumed daily. We can't study it properly yet because of it's current state of illegalness. The irony is that they give it to cancer patients...too late, should have been using it previously.
     
         

  23. #23
    der Fehler Phail's Avatar
    Status
    Phail is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Wow look.
    The solution to famine, poverty, and just generally the answer to all our problems.
     
         

  24. #24
    Member AngryRock's Avatar
    Status
    AngryRock is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorien16 View Post
    Well i dont know about you but many people i have met thinks cloning is growing humans or other animals in a tube or usually related to embryo, and thus immoral ....... actually cloning can also refer to growing various tissues for implantation and according to recent development it can be done using bone marrow instead embryo......
    Ah yes, those misconceptions. I think sci-fi movies have messed with the public's mind a little bit on cloning. Media from gaming to movies treat cloning like the big evil except a few titles. T
     
         

  25. #25
    Senior Member Anorien16's Avatar
    Status
    Anorien16 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: DNA Photographed for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryRock View Post
    Ah yes, those misconceptions. I think sci-fi movies have messed with the public's mind a little bit on cloning. Media from gaming to movies treat cloning like the big evil except a few titles. T
    As some wise man said: We live in the era of smart phones and dumb people......
     
         

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •