Argumentative Bastard Piratefish's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..aaaand we are back down to
    normal...

Neji was RIGHT!

(Thread may not be wholly original to some, but I thought it showed an interesting point)

Remember pre-Timeskip Neji spewing about how fate decided everything and how good it felt for Naruto, the clanless loser, to beat the stuffing out of him, disproving his point entirely...

Except nooooooooo...

Naruto is not only Minato's kid, so according to Neji's worldview WOULD be destined to beat him as the Hyuuga clan have yet to produce a Kage level shinobi (let alone one of Minato's caliber) but also the Child of Prophecy.

Let that sink in.

According to Neji's view, as Naruto is the one destined to change the shinobi world it's not surprising but EXPECTED for him to rise to every challenge and overcome every obstacle. (Sidenote, Kishi gets creds for having BOTH Nagato and Naruto be the Child of Prophecy at the same time) but back to the point:

Part 1's message of "No matter who you are you can succeed if you give ALL that you have" has been gradually replaced with a Prophecied Backstory, partly to provide a more Epic scale, and partly (and this is common in shounen manga if they go on for long enough) to provide an explanation for why their particular hotheaded idiot ever became capable of going toe to toe with the most powerful beings in the world/universe/afterlife/whatever. Problem is, Naruto's earlier (and more praiseworthy) messge was in direct contradiction with this.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I am proud of this thread, please don't let it die...

Last edited by Piratefish; 11-15-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I See The Truth

Re: Neji was RIGHT!

hahah this is bloody awesome

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont blink...

I kind of figured that this was true for a while.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Chilling with Roshi, Sanji, Brook and Jiraiya at bathhouses.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does DNA stand for?
    National Dyslexic Association
    ofc!l

I think this way too. Naruro beat Neji telling him destiny is bs but now hes like whats that talkiing toad? I have a set destiny tch wish someone told me!

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

Quote Originally Posted by FACT Q View Post
    me thinks you either just a butthurt minato fapboy or itachi>>>minato
    Sad attempt of a counter ^

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I wonder if Naruto ever thought back to the chunin exams at all and ate those words (lol).

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because people don't have
    wings, we look for ways to
    fly.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing lately, and Neji was indeed right when it came to destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    Methinks you either suck at reading, or you didn't read at all.

To OP: I concur. Kishimoto retconned the whole theme of the f*cking story. If that ain't shit writing, I don't know what is. Kishimoto is indeed the God of Retconning.
    I agree, Kishimoto lacks writing skills, and the story has gone downhill since Shippuden began.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I See The Truth

funny thing is fate and destiny decides the role of things 99.9 % of the time

Academy Student Sarutobi Joshua's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Naruto's entire character design is so reversed its not even funny. In part one his whole ninja way was supposed to be how hard work could overcome natural talent, or unfair circumstances, and how if he never gave up, hed reach his goals. Him being the "Child of Prophecy" totally kills half of that, and having the Kyuubi just hand him power in almost every fight just hurts his design more.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pain to the world

Quote Originally Posted by FACT Q View Post
    me thinks you either just a butthurt minato fapboy or itachi>>>minato
    what kind of conclusion making is that

Argumentative Bastard Piratefish's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..aaaand we are back down to
    normal...

It's not that Kishimoto has become a worse writer (say what you want, Shippuden isn't a BAD story) it's that the themes of Part 1 Naruto have become twisted beyond recognizability.

Part 1 commented among other things on what loneliness and isolation can do to a child (or any human), what reasons for seeking power can be forgiveable or even admirable, what excessive hatred can drive you to do, how some things are more important than any rules, how hard work and determination can and will give rewards, how promises can matter in a way the world seems to have forgotten, how bonds between friends and family are made and broken (but never truly gone), and how both maintaining bonds and breaking them offer their own versions of power.

Shippuden has ignored or revamped a large amount of these beyond recognition, though some themes do remain. Kakashi's nindo, for example, (some things matter more than rules) has remained stable even throughout the greatest emotional trauma he's ever faced (it's at the very least high up there). On the other hand, he did need motivation from Naruto, and the next paragraphs will explain why I loathe how Naruto keeps doing things like that.

One theme (which may not be intentional) running throughout Shippuden is how ONE PERSON should not be allowed to change the course of the entire world. Isn't this, if anything, the greatest reason why the ENTIRE shinobi world has united against Obito's and Madara's Moon's Eye Plan?

That if lasting peace and happiness can be achieved, it CAN NOT be through the work of ANY single person, not even someone with powers almost divine in scale (Nagato, Madara).

Peace must be achieved through cooperation. Not EVERYONE in the world can be expected to work together, but if ENOUGH do, the battle will be all but won.

Naruto doesn't think so. Naruto thinks that it's okay, even ideal, that ONE person is responsible for the entire world. He can't go on thinking like this, it can't end happily. If he thinks that HE should be the SOLE protector of how the world should be, he will become worse than Madara ever was.

EDIT: This is also why I find the idea of Superman utterly detestable.

Last edited by Piratefish; 11-15-2012 at 10:19 PM.