Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

The Liar's Game?

Has anyone here read this manga before? Is it over? Is it worth reading? I heard some very interesting things about it and I wanted to start another series that is similar to Death Note. I also heard about a series called Monster and heard that it was very well written. Can anyone give me other suggestions that are similar to these series and explain why I should read them?

Rep will be given Thanks.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    HashiramaWankLord... return
    and save us all!

Re: The Liar's Game?

IMO yes it's worth it.

I honestly think that Akiyama is a tier above Light or L in terms of intelligence but it's debatable. It's fun because they actually give you set conditions and make it similar to a game. However you might want to have a pen and paper with you once you get to the 2nd round or above. It might be VERY tempting to skip ahead before properly understanding what strategies Akiyama or another player comes up with but try to grasp the situation anyways for extra drama.

The first round is nothing special and doesn't have much thinking but it's quick and gives you a good grasp of what it's about, so try reading 6-7 chapters into it first.

My sig is from the Liar Game btw

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakengard View Post
    IMO yes it's worth it.

I honestly think that Akiyama is a tier above Light or L in terms of intelligence but it's debatable. It's fun because they actually give you set conditions and make it similar to a game. However you might want to have a pen and paper with you once you get to the 2nd round or above. It might be VERY tempting to skip ahead before properly understanding what strategies Akiyama or another player comes up with but try to grasp the situation anyways for extra drama.

The first round is nothing special and doesn't have much thinking but it's quick and gives you a good grasp of what it's about, so try reading 6-7 chapters into it first.

My sig is from the Liar Game btw
    Thanks, I am really excited about intellectual characters due to the fact that I am a bit tired of Shonen. Hahah really? That's funny because I was about to ask you about it a day ago lol! Thanks again man.

Tobirama/Madara/Hashi fan Hipster Madara's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2010
    In Kagerou-Haze S.Y.S.T.E.M. Something.You.Shouldn't.Trust.Ever.Man.( ̄へ ̄)
    Post Thanks / Like
    hipster-tobirama.tumblr.com

its really good :y

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    and save us all!

The downside to the Liar Game is probably its low target audience. If you don't understand something you can try VMing me and I'll try explaining it better. I remember reading it and trying to decipher stuff for like 10 minutes and felt like an idiot afterwards. Others hate particular main characters but meh I'm ok with it

But yeah you mentioned Monster too. This one is actually good too but I never felt THAT good about it. A lot of people seem to like it more than I do however so it might be a difference in taste.

I'll copy/paste what I said in another thread

- Monster
    I haven't read much of Monster, but it definitely holds the idea of the value of life. Being a famous heart surgeon, the main character constantly has to make choices which life needs to be saved. If he kneels to the kindness of his heart however... he is bound to get destroyed by his greedy superiors.

- Liar Game
    One of my personal favorites (see signature). I thought after Death Note I would be the last of the stereotypical "intelligent manga" for me but this convinced me that there are others out there. The Liar Game throws Nao, a woman who is far too trust worthy for her own good, into a game of cheats and lies. Two people are given 100 million yen, but at the end of the month, this money has to be returned. However, you can steal your enemy's cash as well! Meaning what ever money you steal, becomes your profit at the end of the month.. but also your opponent's debt. This is a battle of intelligence and psychology!

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Awesome everyone thanks for the help!

mada mada dane narutorikudoumode's Avatar
    Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Here I'll return this to
    you" ~Tobirama Senju

Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Account View Post
    Awesome everyone thanks for the help!
    this is one of my favorites but the chapters don't come out regularly so you would have to wait but it has so many chapters right now it is amazing i'm still reading waiting on the next chapter believe you will love but pay attention or you will get lost

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    and save us all!

Quote Originally Posted by narutorikudoumode View Post
    this is one of my favorites but the chapters don't come out regularly so you would have to wait but it has so many chapters right now it is amazing i'm still reading waiting on the next chapter believe you will love but pay attention or you will get lost
    Well they were on break for a few months before but if I'm right, they're starting to release weekly chapters or at least once per 2 weeks.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    and save us all!

By the way, does anybody know a series similar to the Liar Game? I know about the big shots like code geass and Death Note but what others? There are some already recommended to me but I want to know what others think.

/just realized i double posted