Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage



    So, here we go again: The Champions League are back after the stunning, heroic; and somewhat miraculous win of Chelsea last season. The Blues are going to try defend their trophy with other top European sides vying for it.

    Meanwhile, you can leave out your thoughts on the draw and the Champions League in general. Fantasy predictions are allowed. And like always, I'm gonna leave my thoughts on the teams and the groups stage.

    The teams are divided into 4 pots that's been determined by the coefficient points of UEFA. Chelsea; being the holder is automatically into Pot No.1. Here are the 32 clubs that are going to be in this year's CL.

    Pot 1



    Pot 2



    Pot 3



    Pot 4



    Escorp's personal thoughts:

    - Pot 1: No big surprises there. Though I wonder how will the prestigious Milan will perform after being weakened this season. EPL Clubs will be back with a vengeance while Madrid and Barca will remain top-favorites to dethrone Chelsea. I don't know how Bayern will fare after last year's disappointment though.

    - Pot 2: Manchester City will remain one of the top dangers that biggies will want to evade. Otherwise, most of the remaining teams are accustomed to CL and are potential dangers.

    - Pot 3: Is it me or it is weird to see only two Italian teams in a Champions League edition? Anyways, Juventus is biled as the top Italian club and are reigning Serie A champions. So, rightfully, they are a team that no top guns will want to crossroads with at an early stage. To be noted are the Frenchies - ParisSG with its glitz of stars that they recruited and Lille who barely passed through play-offs after losing their star, Hazard. Ajax, with its history, is always a menace.

    - Pot 4: I find it saddening that Dortmund is still in last pot and somewhat, it feels insulting especially when you noticed how Dortmund completely dominated Bayern in Bundesliga in last two years. Anyhow, I personally wouldn't be happy for the teams who'll face-off the Yellow Wagon. Montpellier, Nordsjælland & Málaga are debuting in the CL, so I'll wish them good luck.

    The biggest group of death possible will be a Madrid/Barca - Man.City - Juventus - Dortmund. Somewhat, it's so tempting Many new transfer signings like Hazard, Kagawa, Ibra, T.Silva ect... could also face with their old clubs.

    And yeah, there's also the 2011/12 UEFA Best Player in Europe prize to be awarded. The Top 3 Nominees are Iniesta, Messi and Ronaldo. You can check stats and achievements of these 3 in the link. To be noted is that this award has been tilted upside-down since it's a combination of both Best Player during the last CL and this year's Euro 2012 (both UEFA competitions). In that sense, Euro's Best Player - Iniesta - is nominated among the last 3. And somehow, the Chelsea heroes - Drogba and Cech - didn't make it to the Top 3 due to Euro's influence. On the hand, Messi's sensational stats in the CL also kept Euro 2012's other heroes out - notably Pirlo and Casillas. Oh well, that's life. Personally, I'd hand the award to Iniesta, with CR7 as first runner-up.

    Winner of the 2011/12 UEFA Best Player in Europe: Andres Iniesta (Barcelona | Spain)

    EDIT: It has started. It's revealed that the voting of the Best Player will be done live by a panel that's present there in Monaco. Somewhat I don't like this decision. Side note: This dress on Irina Shayk is f*cking hot. Oh just noticed, Iniesta's newly-wedded wife. She looks good too. , Ronaldo is reminding us of his penalties jinxes in last CL and Euro

    Group A
    1. FC Porto
    2. FC Dynamo Kyiv
    3. Paris Saint-Germain FC
    4. GNK Dinamo Zagreb


    Group B
    1. Arsenal FC
    2. FC Shalke 04
    3. Olympiacos FC
    4. Montpellier HSC


    Group C
    1. AC Milan
    2. FC Zenit St. Petersburg
    3. RSC Anderlecht
    4. Málaga FC


    Group D - Group of Death
    1. Real Madrid FC
    2. Manchester City FC
    3. AFC Ajax
    4. Borussia Dortmund


    Group E
    1. Chelsea FC
    2. Shakhtar Donetsk
    3. Juventus FC
    4. Nordsjælland FC


    Group F
    1. Bayern Munich
    2. Valencia CF
    3. LOSC Lille
    4. FC Bate Borisov


    Group G
    1. FC Barcelona
    2. SL Benfica
    3. FC Spartak Moskva
    4. Celtic FC


    Group H
    1. Manchester United FC
    2. Braga SC
    3. Galatasaray A.S.
    4. CFR Cluj


    For Europa League draws, click here!
     
         
    Last edited by Escorpiius; 08-31-2012 at 08:15 PM.

  2. #2
    NB's Number 1 Cam's Avatar
    Status
    Cam is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Anywhere
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's always been a lot of
    tension between Lois and me,
    and it's not so much that I
    want to kill her, it's just, I
    want her not to be alive
    anymore.' - Stewie Griffin
     

    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Ah great stuff, I've been waiting for this
     
         

  3. #3
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Ah great stuff, I've been waiting for this
    Thanks. Starts in less than 15 minutes now. Btw, I forgot to state some global rules of the CL draw. Since we got time, I could well do this now.

    1. There are four pots of eight teams. Teams from Pot No.1 will be chosen first and allocated different groups. Thus, they won't meet in group stages. The draw is swiftly coordinated and continued in numerical order; that is, Pot 2 to Pot 3 to Pot 4 afterwards.

    2. Teams from the same country cannot be drawn into the same group. That's one more reason why there's Rule No.1. For example, if we were to fancy a group consisting of City, Juventus and Dortmund, then that group will definitely not contain another English, Italian or German team. Can be only one of the 2 Spanish giants or Porto.

    3. If two teams from the same country have qualified, they will be paired to split their matches between Tuesday and Wednesday. These pairings will be based on the TV audience and take account of the provisions of the competition regulations concerning stadiums. That's economical decision and to take better security provisions in some cases.

    4. Each team will play three matches on Tuesdays and three on Wednesdays. Clubs from a Nordic country like Russia and Belarus will play their final group games away in December because of their severe winters. Speaking of which, I always hope that United don't get a Russia or Turkey trip. The journey can often prove to be more beastly that the teams itself. I think that'll be it.
     
         

  4. #4
    Male |: Pesh's Avatar
    Status
    Pesh is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Man City and Real Madrid together, that sounds interesting o-o
     
         

  5. #5
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
    Man City and Real Madrid together, that sounds interesting o-o
    I'm wondering if PSG gets added into that. We could get a All-Money group lol
     
         

  6. #6
    Male |: Pesh's Avatar
    Status
    Pesh is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I'm wondering if PSG gets added into that. We could get a All-Money group lol
    It'd be over 9000!
     
         

  7. #7
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
    It'd be over 9000!
    Oh yeah, Malaga is also pretty rich now.
     
         

  8. #8
    Male |: Pesh's Avatar
    Status
    Pesh is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Oh yeah, Malaga is also pretty rich now.
    Well, our hopes were destroyed :D
     
         

  9. #9
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Madrid --- City --- Ajax --- Dortmund

    Group of death. The four champions from last year (league wise),
     
         

  10. #10
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Iniesta should win Ballon.
     
         

  11. #11
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post
    Iniesta should win Ballon.
    It's a trophy not Ballon. But somehow, it's an indication of perhaps what's going to occur for this year's Ballon D'Or.
     
         

  12. #12
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    It's a trophy not Ballon. But somehow, it's an indication of perhaps what's going to occur for this year's Ballon D'Or.
    Opps error. I have a feeling the trophy will go to Iniesta, but Ballon will be between Messi/Ronaldo.

    Congrats to Iniesta
     
         
    Last edited by ReLax -; 08-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.

  13. #13
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post
    Opps error. I have a feeling the trophy will go to Iniesta, but Ballon will be between Messi/Ronaldo.
    I agree. And Iniesta won it.
     
         

  14. #14
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I agree. And Iniesta won it.
    Yes. A well deserved one.
     
         

  15. #15
    Out Of Ctrl's Avatar
    Status
    Out Of Ctrl is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sat on a cloud.
    Posts
    3,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here and there
     

    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Chelsea got a decent group, although travelling to Ukraine is not exactly comforting.

    Interesting to see the results of group of death. Personally, I don't see City performing well.
     
         

  16. #16
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Group A:

    PSG and Porto should come up top in this group.

    Group B:

    Arsenal are favourites in this one, but Montpellier and Shalke will fight.

    Group C:

    Milan and Malaga will remain favs, but the recent form of the clubs seem like they may have to fight twice as hard as any other favs in the other groups except group of death. Zenit will challenge them and may make it out upsetting one of the sides.

    Group D:

    Well Madrid will most likely finish up top or at most second. I have a feeling Dortmund may finish second, but who knows. Ajax will have to fight a lot to resist the attacking from all three sides. City had an upsetting run last year and their form now isn't at its best and like last year they have no room for any mistakes.

    Aren't City getting a nice welcoming committee to Europe 2nd year group of death.

    Group E:

    Juventus and Chelsea are favs here, but Donetsk is a decent side also.

    Group F:

    Valencia and Bayern will topple this group, but Lillie may spring up a surprise.

    Group G:

    Barcelona and Benfica should have this one, but Celtic have been to this stage and even won, so we can't underestimate them.

    Group H:

    United and Braga, all tho Galatasaray is a side both should be wary of.
     
         

  17. #17
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post
    Group A:

    PSG and Porto should come up top in this group.

    Group B:

    Arsenal are favourites in this one, but Montpellier and Shalke will fight.

    Group C:

    Milan and Malaga will remain favs, but the recent form of the clubs seem like they may have to fight twice as hard as any other favs in the other groups except group of death. Zenit will challenge them and may make it out upsetting one of the sides.

    Group D:

    Well Madrid will most likely finish up top or at most second. I have a feeling Dortmund may finish second, but who knows. Ajax will have to fight a lot to resist the attacking from all three sides. City had an upsetting run last year and their form now isn't at its best and like last year they have no room for any mistakes.

    Aren't City getting a nice welcoming committee to Europe 2nd year group of death.

    Group E:

    Juventus and Chelsea are favs here, but Donetsk is a decent side also.

    Group F:

    Valencia and Bayern will topple this group, but Lillie may spring up a surprise.

    Group G:

    Barcelona and Benfica should have this one, but Celtic have been to this stage and even won, so we can't underestimate them.

    Group H:

    United and Braga, all tho Galatasaray is a side both should be wary of.
    PSG is not doing so well despite their huge expenditures. Porto is favorite; but I can't say the same for the rest. Zagreb and Kyiv are no pushovers and got quite some CL experience by now. But still, PSG got a great chance.

    Arsenal are clear-cut favorites but they'll just need to play all those teams carefully. Giroud will meet his old club, Montpellier that he helped clinching a historic French title by upsetting PSG. But yeah, Montpellier isn't doing too well either since this star-departure. I'd bet something on Shalke though for the 2nd place.

    Zenit is a solid side by now and built-up solid credibility on both Cl and Europa platforms. Milan is such a prestigious side in CL history; even though I'm worried for them given their losses in players. Malaga has proved to be a very tricky side in the Liga, so they'll have good chances. Frankly, I'd say that Zenit will end up first and either Milan or Malaga will barely squeeze through.

    I don't know what to say on this Group of Death. It sure isn't the best way for Madrid to give another attempt at this wanted 10th CL trophy. Neither is it the ideal way for the Citizens to enter a second Group of Death lol. I almost pity Ajax and its fans. And yeah, Dortmund are one heck of a team. Somehow, I like most teams in this group (well not City but I do support English teams as always, so...). It's gonna be pretty nice. City is gonna fare better than last year. They are perhaps not with the same confidence as last uear but they have matured and gained more experience. But on the flip side, this group sounds even more tough than last year. Dortmund aren't blessed either. It's gonna be a tough call; predicting this one even if I don't believe much in Ajax chances at all.

    Group E & F are very similar. 2 teams - Chelsea/Juventus and Bayern/Valencia - seem favorites to topple the group and 1 team - Doneskt and Lille are gonna try to force an upset. Nordsjælland and Bate are clearly weaker but they are gonna be underestimated and could cost one team their qualification. They are wild cards. That's why I say, these are very solid groups. The hierarchy is defined but maintaining it, is another thing.

    In another way, Group G & H are also very similar.

    Barcelona are clear-cut favorites. But Benfica is a very solid side. Celtic is a very football-breathing team. And a trip to Russia, well, it's not always the best thing.

    United are also favorites but we should learn from last year's debacle. No fiasco should be allowed to occur this time and caution shall be key. Like Celtic, Galatasaray got a very sulfuric stadium to say the least and yeah, I'm not fan of a Turkish voyage. Needless to remind some stingy memories of Portuguese sides with United. Somehow, I think United always get a Portuguese or Scottish side in CL campaigns. Can't say if it's a blessing or curse though. I don't know much on Cluj, so I won't detail on this one.
     
         

  18. #18
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    PSG is not doing so well despite their huge expenditures. Porto is favorite; but I can't say the same for the rest. Zagreb and Kyiv are no pushovers and got quite some CL experience by now. But still, PSG got a great chance.

    Arsenal are clear-cut favorites but they'll just need to play all those teams carefully. Giroud will meet his old club, Montpellier that he helped clinching a historic French title by upsetting PSG. But yeah, Montpellier isn't doing too well either since this star-departure. I'd bet something on Shalke though for the 2nd place.

    Zenit is a solid side by now and built-up solid credibility on both Cl and Europa platforms. Milan is such a prestigious side in CL history; even though I'm worried for them given their losses in players. Malaga has proved to be a very tricky side in the Liga, so they'll have good chances. Frankly, I'd say that Zenit will end up first and either Milan or Malaga will barely squeeze through.

    I don't know what to say on this Group of Death. It sure isn't the best way for Madrid to give another attempt at this wanted 10th CL trophy. Neither is it the ideal way for the Citizens to enter a second Group of Death lol. I almost pity Ajax and its fans. And yeah, Dortmund are one heck of a team. Somehow, I like most teams in this group (well not City but I do support English teams as always, so...). It's gonna be pretty nice. City is gonna fare better than last year. They are perhaps not with the same confidence as last uear but they have matured and gained more experience. But on the flip side, this group sounds even more tough than last year. Dortmund aren't blessed either. It's gonna be a tough call; predicting this one even if I don't believe much in Ajax chances at all.

    Group E & F are very similar. 2 teams - Chelsea/Juventus and Bayern/Valencia - seem favorites to topple the group and 1 team - Doneskt and Lille are gonna try to force an upset. Nordsjælland and Bate are clearly weaker but they are gonna be underestimated and could cost one team their qualification. They are wild cards. That's why I say, these are very solid groups. The hierarchy is defined but maintaining it, is another thing.

    In another way, Group G & H are also very similar.

    Barcelona are clear-cut favorites. But Benfica is a very solid side. Celtic is a very football-breathing team. And a trip to Russia, well, it's not always the best thing.

    United are also favorites but we should learn from last year's debacle. No fiasco should be allowed to occur this time and caution shall be key. Like Celtic, Galatasaray got a very sulfuric stadium to say the least and yeah, I'm not fan of a Turkish voyage. Needless to remind some stingy memories of Portuguese sides with United. Somehow, I think United always get a Portuguese or Scottish side in CL campaigns. Can't say if it's a blessing or curse though. I don't know much on Cluj, so I won't detail on this one.



    PSG has drawn there last few games, at least we can say they haven't lost yet I heard Ibra and Nene got into a fight during training.

    Arsenal are like PSG they haven't won. They have't even scored in a single league game yet. Lets see if they can VS Liverpool.

    Milan lost not only their striker, but one of the best defenders in this game Silva. Pato is out on injury and they traded Cassano. I have to agree either Malaga or Milan will most likely not make it out.

    We know one thing from the past few games, that Pepe absent is vital weakness for Madrid. Madrid didn't play to well in the past 4 games. I thought they would have destroyed us last night, but weren't consistent and still with 10 man we had about 3-4 one on one with Casillas, this needs to improve from them. City are shaky right now they need on form Aguero/Silva to actually survive this group. Dortmund don't have the best squad, but they have what it takes to challenge the best. I have enjoyed watching Rues/Gotze/Hummels/Lewandowski performance as of late. They have also raised players like Sahin and Kagawa. Well not Kagawa as much, but thats were he rose.

    Agreed with group E & F. They may just end up underestimating these two sides.

    Same with group G & H. Barcelona will struggle this season with a shaky defence and United may struggle in the same boat as I feel Vidic/Rio will be in and out of injury like Puyol.
     
         

  19. #19
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post

    PSG has drawn there last few games, at least we can say they haven't lost yet I heard Ibra and Nene got into a fight during training.

    Arsenal are like PSG they haven't won. They have't even scored in a single league game yet. Lets see if they can VS Liverpool.

    Milan lost not only their striker, but one of the best defenders in this game Silva. Pato is out on injury and they traded Cassano. I have to agree either Malaga or Milan will most likely not make it out.

    We know one thing from the past few games, that Pepe absent is vital weakness for Madrid. Madrid didn't play to well in the past 4 games. I thought they would have destroyed us last night, but weren't consistent and still with 10 man we had about 3-4 one on one with Casillas, this needs to improve from them. City are shaky right now they need on form Aguero/Silva to actually survive this group. Dortmund don't have the best squad, but they have what it takes to challenge the best. I have enjoyed watching Rues/Gotze/Hummels/Lewandowski performance as of late. They have also raised players like Sahin and Kagawa. Well not Kagawa as much, but thats were he rose.

    Agreed with group E & F. They may just end up underestimating these two sides.

    Same with group G & H. Barcelona will struggle this season with a shaky defence and United may struggle in the same boat as I feel Vidic/Rio will be in and out of injury like Puyol.
    Well, I saw 2 of these 3 matches and I'm not really optimist. They were dominated against Lorient and Ibra saved them. Afterwards, he got injured. The next 2 matches, the opponents packed their defense and PSG were not very threatening. Levezzi even got red-carded on the last match due to frustration. On the other side, Ancelloti was brought in for CL experiences, so let's see.

    Yeah but Arsenal is another case. They are regulars in CL despite their continuous squad depletion and always fare well. PSG are back into CL after a hiatus. But yeah as you know, I did underlined how the lack of offensive leader is gonna lead to finishing problems in Arsenal. So let's see... I don't see them crashing out though.

    Let's not forget all the departures of the legends too. It's pretty clear who's the top side.

    I didn't detailed onto Madrid v/s Barca match yet due to certain things. Will do so later on. Aguero is injured though and Silva is not in the nest of shape. Still, they do have a great squad. And Dortmund have a great team nonetheless. Gotze/Reus/Lewandowski ect... still sount like a very promising squad. Let's not forget how they steam-rolled Bayern last season in most encounters while Madrid got out against Bayern. Somewhat, Dortmund has more than a good chance. They got many reasons to believe in imo.

    Defense will indeed be a problem for both Barca and United. Even if Barca's possession against "weaker" teams shall erase most of Valdes/Pique/Mascherao/Adriano weaknesses. As for United, well, I'm worried especially for the center defense but I want to wait for some of the defenders return before pushing a defensive crisis panic button. Ferdinand is supposed to be back in 2-3 weeks. Vidic is getting better from his injury as weeks are passing. Smalling is supposedly a long-term one while Evans and Jones could make it a return in around 1 month or so.
     
         

  20. #20
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Well, I saw 2 of these 3 matches and I'm not really optimist. They were dominated against Lorient and Ibra saved them. Afterwards, he got injured. The next 2 matches, the opponents packed their defense and PSG were not very threatening. Levezzi even got red-carded on the last match due to frustration. On the other side, Ancelloti was brought in for CL experiences, so let's see.

    Yeah but Arsenal is another case. They are regulars in CL despite their continuous squad depletion and always fare well. PSG are back into CL after a hiatus. But yeah as you know, I did underlined how the lack of offensive leader is gonna lead to finishing problems in Arsenal. So let's see... I don't see them crashing out though.

    Let's not forget all the departures of the legends too. It's pretty clear who's the top side.

    I didn't detailed onto Madrid v/s Barca match yet due to certain things. Will do so later on. Aguero is injured though and Silva is not in the nest of shape. Still, they do have a great squad. And Dortmund have a great team nonetheless. Gotze/Reus/Lewandowski ect... still sount like a very promising squad. Let's not forget how they steam-rolled Bayern last season in most encounters while Madrid got out against Bayern. Somewhat, Dortmund has more than a good chance. They got many reasons to believe in imo.

    Defense will indeed be a problem for both Barca and United. Even if Barca's possession against "weaker" teams shall erase most of Valdes/Pique/Mascherao/Adriano weaknesses. As for United, well, I'm worried especially for the center defense but I want to wait for some of the defenders return before pushing a defensive crisis panic button. Ferdinand is supposed to be back in 2-3 weeks. Vidic is getting better from his injury as weeks are passing. Smalling is supposedly a long-term one while Evans and Jones could make it a return in around 1 month or so.
    Thats something PSG will need to get use to. Ibra/Levezzi/Nene/Pastore/Moura/Motta are all good offensively and with Silva/Alex/Lugano/Maxell watching their backs it gives them more confident on offence, which will get teams to defend heavy. Levezzi will be facing a lot of cards could be a downfall for them.

    Arsenal in the past 10 years or so have always been strong in Europe. They just lose key players and try to break in the new players in the CL competition, but they have beaten the best already. They just need an actually squad like 02/04 one.

    Yes, City does have a big squad, but they need Nasri to step up a bit more, if incase Silva gets injured and/or out of shape. Tevez is doing well and fighting for his spot. Balotelli needs his Euro shape back, and if Aguero can perform like he did last year than they can go far. Dortmund has history in CL and now the players have experience it, all tho each year they lose a key midfielders Sahin in 11/12 and Kagawa this year. Imagine Kagawa/Sahin/Lewandowski/Reus/Gotze They also lost Lucas Barrios who i though was pretty good.

    Speaking of Bayern they just signed Martinez. Also Shaqiri has been a joy to watch. Bayern was a tough side last year, all tho they didn't get the best of results, but with Martinez and Shaqiri they have only strengthen themselves. I haven't seen enough of their new defender Dante to really judge his performance.

    Well Puyol is out, so were left with Pique only with Abidal maybe making a return in December, but I think his career is over, or will be after this season. We tried to get Silva, but nothing happened if he would have I'd be so happy. Hummels was another choice, but due to chasing Silva, they ignored him till he signed a new deal with Dortmund. United so far have scored 3 and conceded 3. Vidic may pick up a knock here and there, but with no better replacement it'll be hard to match the bigger teams in EPL.
     
         

  21. #21
    Senior Member Uchiha seeker's Avatar
    Status
    Uchiha seeker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    13,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next time
     

    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Cant wait for Madrid vs City!
     
         

  22. #22
    NB's Number 1 Cam's Avatar
    Status
    Cam is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Anywhere
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's always been a lot of
    tension between Lois and me,
    and it's not so much that I
    want to kill her, it's just, I
    want her not to be alive
    anymore.' - Stewie Griffin
     

    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    I wonder if City will be more impressive this season with their big club, despite being in the group of death. I feel they still need more experience in the Champions League though. Madrid is a sure pass.

    United and Barca have an easy group to get through, but I wouldn't rule out the smaller teams just yet, seeing United's disappointment last season.


    PSG will be interesting to see with their high increase of top players lately.
     
         

  23. #23
    Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Michael92 is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    Series Finale will arrive 24th
    of July!!
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Real, City and Dortmund... This will be very interesting indeed. And again, Man U get an easy group for the 8th year or so in row O_____o Looks to me like this is becoming a trend, and with City in a group of death 2 years in a row.

    Barca also got it easy this time around it seems, while Chelsea and Juventus will play each other to the maximum I think.

    On a different note, Europa League Group draws:

    Group A:
    Liverpool
    Udinese
    Young Boys
    Anzji Makhatsjkala

    Group B:
    Atletico Madrid
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Viktoria Plzen
    Academica

    Group C:
    Marseille
    Fenerbahce
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    AEL Limassol

    Group D:
    Bordeaux
    Club Brugge
    Newcastle
    Maritimo

    Group E:
    Stuttgart
    FC København
    Steaua Bucuresti
    Molde

    Group F:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Napoli
    Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    AIK

    Group G:
    Sporting Lisboa
    Basel
    Genk
    Videoton

    Group H:
    Inter
    Rubin Kazan
    Partizan Beograd
    Neftchi Baku

    Group I:
    Lyon
    Athletic Bilbao
    Sparta Praha
    Hapoel Kiryat Shmona

    Group J:
    Tottenham
    Panathinaikos
    Lazio
    Maribor

    Group K:
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Metalist Kharkiv
    Rosenborg
    Rapid Wien

    Group L:
    Twente
    Hannover
    Levante
    Helsingborg

    @*Escorp - Feel free to add this in your first post.
     
         

  24. #24
    Més que un club ReLax -'s Avatar
    Status
    ReLax - is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Besides Lille and to some extent, Marseille or Lyon, I don't see the other teams playing offensive football against Paris. It'll take time for them to adjust to this continuous defensive schema set against them. They might struggle for a first season.

    Well, they need a trophy. If they do, a better squad will most likely follow. Speaking of squads, I'm gonna talk on transfers in the Debates thread tonight since it closes in less than 24 hours now.

    Well, Nasri did step up against Southampton when Silva was out of shape. In the match against Liverpool, well, mostly all City players were bad. I wanna wait some more match to decide whether they just had a bad day or they felt awkward with Manicini's formation changes or they actually struggled. Tevez and Aguero got the 2 strikers' starting spot since some time now. It's mostly Ballotelli and Dzeko who need to prove their worth in absence of Aguero.

    Speaking of Liverpool, is it me or Suarez is developing more and more like Robben in terms of attitude? He's ultra-talented like Robben but he's becoming more and more of a soloist player. He tried 5 passes during the City match and missed 3 of those. He scored a wonderfully freekick in his own but he still *****es a lot on the field. With him being often tagged as cheater, arrogant or even racist by some people, he's somewhat following on the inglorious path of Robben.

    Dortmund lost players since they do form great players. The good thing is that Gotze is coming back. Had he not been injured, I think, he'll already have courted somewhere else. But, Kagawa did wonderfully in Gotze's absence and now that he's gone, it's time for Gotze to get back his shape. Frankly speaking, if Gotze gets back his shape, we won't see much drop in Dortmund's performances.

    Martinez will struggle a lot in the beginning if you ask me. He can be a success but he'll need to fight a lot imo. Mainly because there'll magnanimous media pressure on him, given his price. He's young, he's talented but now he's also over-priced; thanks to his release clause. With that, he'll need a big mental strength to show his mettle despite the pressure.

    Vidic is not really injury-prone though. If we remove this past severe injury, I rarely saw him getting injured. Touch-wood, I hope he doesn't take any more. The good thing is that Fergie didn't rush his return despite the defensive crisis. He played 6 matches (includ. pre season) since his return and I didn't saw him complaining of any pain in either of those matches. That's quite re-assuring. Moreover, he seemed to have a good physical preparation if we saw his weight loss. It's amazing how much Vidic, Tevez and Y.Toure lost weight in mere months though.
    I think they will need to play defensively eventually also.

    True. I'm more concerned were Llorente is going Arsenal/Liverpool/Juventus? Or will he stay, but won't get a welcoming party from Bilbao fans.

    Yes, but Nasri has his off/on games, he rarely shows consistency, which I'd like to see from him if he wants to take France/City far.

    Well the thing is Robben played with top sides like Madrid/Chelsea/Bayern and his country Netherlands, which has been a dominate side for the past 4-5 years. Suarez played good with Ajax and Uruguay, but he has become a soloist with Liverpool because their isn't much support. Most his goals come from his solo effort and last year despite missing 15+ games he was the top scorer for Liverpool. This is why we see him becoming like this, every player has an attitude problem in somewhat way or form. Suarez played well as a team with Ajax and Uruguay, but Liverpool don't have support for him his first season he played well as a team, but no one else played too good and most his created chance were becoming useless.

    Yes, but within a year or two City/Madrid/Bayern/Arsenal/Milan/Juventus may coming knocking for Gotze. I do admire his playing style and he's still young.

    Yes, I read that most spent on a transfer to Germany, his development their will also benefit Spain if he can

    We never know what happens. The games get rough and the test will start when they start playing league games/FA/CL etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Real, City and Dortmund... This will be very interesting indeed. And again, Man U get an easy group for the 8th year or so in row O_____o Looks to me like this is becoming a trend, and with City in a group of death 2 years in a row.

    Barca also got it easy this time around it seems, while Chelsea and Juventus will play each other to the maximum I think.
    I wouldn't say easy, as Benfica and Celtic will give Barcelona a run for their money. United will face Braga would did reach the finals of Europa two years ago and a tricky Galatasaray side.

    It will also depend on the tactic both sides deploy and if the miss key players due to injury.
     
         
    Last edited by ReLax -; 08-31-2012 at 06:43 PM.

  25. #25
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 Group Stage Draw ~ Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Real, City and Dortmund... This will be very interesting indeed. And again, Man U get an easy group for the 8th year or so in row O_____o Looks to me like this is becoming a trend, and with City in a group of death 2 years in a row.

    @*Escorp - Feel free to add this in your first post.
    Well, United got the merit to complicate things with easy groups anyways. In a way, it doesn't really matter. Also, English clubs in Pot 1 are lucky enough since they were sure not to get Man.City which was THE real danger to form a group of death. At worst, Arsenal/Chelsea/United will have inherited both Dortmund and Juventus to form a Group of Death but it was too improbable.

    Also, we tend to underestimate Portuguese clubs. United always tend to get one and people just jump on the wagon that we got an easy group. Sure, the group is largely favorable to us but still, Braga are no pushovers. Neither will Benfica be against Barca imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post
    I think they will need to play defensively eventually also.

    True. I'm more concerned were Llorente is going Arsenal/Liverpool/Juventus? Or will he stay, but won't get a welcoming party from Bilbao fans.

    Yes, but Nasri has his off/on games, he rarely shows consistency, which I'd like to see from him if he wants to take France/City far.

    Well the thing is Robben played with top sides like Madrid/Chelsea/Bayern and his country Netherlands, which has been a dominate side for the past 4-5 years. Suarez played good with Ajax and Uruguay, but he has become a soloist with Liverpool because their isn't much support. Most his goals come from his solo effort and last year despite missing 15+ games he was the top scorer for Liverpool. This is why we see him becoming like this, every player has an attitude problem in somewhat way or form. Suarez played well as a team with Ajax and Uruguay, but Liverpool don't have support for him his first season he played well as a team, but no one else played too good and most his created chance were becoming useless.

    Yes, but within a year or two City/Madrid/Bayern/Arsenal/Milan/Juventus may coming knocking for Gotze. I do admire his playing style and he's still young.

    Yes, I read that most spent on a transfer to Germany, his development their will also benefit Spain if he can

    We never know what happens. The games get rough and the test will start when they start playing league games/FA/CL etc.
    .
    We'll see.. It depends on the improvement of Paris too.

    There are already quite some movement today. On second thought, I'll resumes the big transfers of this season tomorrow night. It's a bit too confusing right now.

    Can't say no but he improved in last part of the season. There were also many fights at many positions in City last year for starters position: Aguero v/s Dzeko, Balotelli v/s Tevez, Silva v/s Johnson, Nasri v/s Milner, Barry v/s De Jong, Kolarov v/s Clichy, Richards v/s Zabaleta, Lescott v/s Toure. As season reached its culmination, Mancini got his starting team. Somewhat all the winners fought to be among those and Nasri is one of them. Perhaps, many of those players are now slacking since there's no more that competition threat. I think, his inconsistency can be blamed on that. Though, you're harsh with Nasri in France though. There are many factors that is wrong with France squad besides Nasri's inconsistency.

    Still, no matter your squad's teamplay, you must try to blend into it. I know Liverpool is far far from being the best in that but I don't think soloist efforts is the solution. Atleast, not a long-term answer. Let's see how his attitude changes with Sahin and Allen's arrival now. Sahin got brilliant potential and many compares him to Xabi Alonso. Allen is underrated but if you go by stats, he was the 2nd player who made the most passes in whole European clubs last season. Only Xavi did better. Few people realize that.

    Well, as I said, if you asked me two seasons ago, I would have seen him to still be at Dortmund. His injury has been detrimental. Hopefully, he'll get back on tracks.

    Yeah, the most expensive transfer of Bundesliga. A tag that'll become a burden on his young shoulders.

    Well, obviously, no players are safe from a potential injury but I hope the best for Vidic. Though I know Ferdinand will get injured again down the line; given his frequent back-problems.
     
         

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •