Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Error: Code 80070005

    Alright, I'm getting annoyed so I decided to make a thread on this. So I keep getting this message every time I try to install updates on my computer:

    Error: Code 80070005 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

    I used Google to see if I could fix it on my own but the only info I found for this was to log in as an administrator. The annoying thing is that there are two accounts on this computer and they're both admins. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
     
         

  2. #2
    Banned
    Status
    ReapTermin is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    ---
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    You have Windows Vista right?
     
         

  3. #3
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by ReapTermin View Post
    You have Windows Vista right?
    Windows 7 Home Premium
     
         

  4. #4
    Banned
    Status
    ReapTermin is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    ---
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Have you tried installing the updates during a restart? Some updates cant't be installed while the computer is in use.
     
         

  5. #5
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by ReapTermin View Post
    Have you tried installing the updates during a restart? Some updates cant't be installed while the computer is in use.
    Already tried that multiple times actually.
     
         

  6. #6
    Banned
    Status
    ReapTermin is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    ---
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    Already tried that multiple times actually.
    I've looked online and it says that the error code you get is because you don't have the permission to access a certain file. Are you an Administrator?
     
         

  7. #7
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by ReapTermin View Post
    I've looked online and it says that the error code you get is because you don't have the permission to access a certain file. Are you an Administrator?
    I already mentioned that in my first post.
    The answer is yes lol. I even clicked "Run as Administrator" when I run Windows Update.
     
         

  8. #8
    Banned
    Status
    -Lionheart- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    766
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    go to to C:Windows\Software Distribution and change the file permissions which are set at Read Only.
     
         

  9. #9
    Banned
    Status
    ReapTermin is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    ---
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    I already mentioned that in my first post.
    The answer is yes lol. I even clicked "Run as Administrator" when I run Windows Update.
    I just had to make sure.

    I've never had this type of problem before. It's safer if you contacted Microsoft for help. The error you get seems to be about access rights.

    Sorry for not fixing your problem. :o
     
         

  10. #10
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by God Slayer View Post
    go to to C:Windows\Software Distribution and change the file permissions which are set at Read Only.
    Just to double check you want me to:

    C:Windows\Software Distribution --> Properties --> Security tab --> Edit --> Give all groups/usernames full permission (my account, SYSTEM, and TrustedInstaller)

    @ReapTermin Its cool. At least you tried.
     
         

  11. #11
    Banned
    Status
    -Lionheart- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    766
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    Just to double check you want me to:

    C:Windows\Software Distribution --> Properties --> Security tab --> Edit --> Give all groups/usernames full permission (my account, SYSTEM, and TrustedInstaller)

    @ReapTermin Its cool. At least you tried.
    first give them all, but try to remember those u changed or write them down, i think this will work, but incase it doesnt, u can change it back to default
     
         

  12. #12
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by God Slayer View Post
    first give them all, but try to remember those u changed or write them down, i think this will work, but incase it doesnt, u can change it back to default
    Apparently my account and SYSTEM already had full permissions, it was just TrustedInstaller that I needed to change. After I applied the changes, I attempted to install the updates again but it still failed. I'm getting the exact same error.
     
         

  13. #13
    Banned
    Status
    -Lionheart- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    766
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    Apparently my account and SYSTEM already had full permissions, it was just TrustedInstaller that I needed to change. After I applied the changes, I attempted to install the updates again but it still failed. I'm getting the exact same error.
    well its a complicated problem and it could have several causes and solutions, but wouldnt it be better to install Vista?
     
         

  14. #14
    Member Aisein's Avatar
    Status
    Aisein is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by God Slayer View Post
    well its a complicated problem and it could have several causes and solutions, but wouldnt it be better to install Vista?
    I even ran scan for viruses, malware, etc. and nothing.

    Why would I uninstall Windows 7 to Vista? :confused:
     
         

  15. #15
    Banned
    Status
    -Lionheart- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    766
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Error: Code 80070005

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisein View Post
    I even ran scan for viruses, malware, etc. and nothing.

    Why would I uninstall Windows 7 to Vista? :confused:
    i prefer vista, its better

    have u tried this..

    1. Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy
    2. Navigate to Security\Local Policies\Security Options
    a. Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users - Set to Enabled
    c. DCOM: Machine Access Restrictions - Add Anonymous, Everyone, Interactive, Network, System with full rights options set.
    d. Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users - Set to Enabled
    e. Network Access: Sharing security model for local accounts - Set to Classic

    The "Sharing Security model" is the real offending item I believe, and setting the above should fix the problem. If not then I went as far as setting the following in DCOMCNFG.

    DCOM Configuration

    1. Click Start -> Run
    2. Enter DCOMCNFG and press OK. This will open the DCOMCNFG window.
    3. Browse down the tree to Console Root -> Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer
    4. right-click on "My Computer" and select properties
    5. Select the "Default Properties" tab
    a. Enable Distributed COM on this computer - Option is checked
    b. Default Authentication Level - Set to Connect
    c. Default Impersonation Level - Set to Identify
    6. Select the "COM Security" tab
    7. Click on Access Permissions ' Edit Default
    a. Add "Anonymous", "Everyone", "Interactive", "Network", "System" with Local and Remote access permissions set.
    8. Click on Launch and Activation Permissions ' Edit Default
    a. Add "Anonymous", "Everyone", "Interactive", "Network", "System" with Local and Remote access permissions set.
    9. Click on OK
    10. Close the DCOMCNFG window


    restart computer and try the update again
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •