Page 15 of 59 « First ... 511121314151617181925 ... Last»
    The White Demon Totsuka No Tsurugi's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot take pride in such a
    meager endeavour

Re: General Football Debates!

messi have nothing against Zidane and the great Ronaldo(BRA), how i miss the good old days

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Totsuka No Tsurugi View Post
    messi have nothing against Zidane and the great Ronaldo(BRA), how i miss the good old days
    Right on!

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot to mention in my above post that Raul is also Real Madrid's all time top scorer. So everyone can f*ck of with the Messi's, Rooney's and C.Ronaldo's. There's a real striker right there.

Last edited by Hawker; 07-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    btw, just out of curiosity, have you witnessed Zidane playing? like when were you born? ..'cause that's one factor itself, that if you have witnessed the era when Zidane and the others dominated. I'm not trying to f*ck with you, I'm just asking. 'Cause to me it seems all today's youngsters worship Messi and they don't know any of those that were before him.
    Yes, I have witnessed him play, so I speak from knowledge rather than anything else. I was around 8-9 when I first saw him in WC98 and my father his friends were big fan of him. I started my interest in football when I watch a documentary about Cruyff/Netherlands/Barcelona (dream team 90's). This is when I fall in love with Barcelona. As I grew and started playing football I didn't know what position I wanted to play out of Midfield/striker, so my coach/friends use to tell me watch videos online, I watched the likes of Puskás, Pele, Seeler, Cruyff, Mueller, Maradona, and etc the list goes on one of my personal favs who gets the least amount of credit is Eusébio he played for Benfica and Portugal I'm not a big fan of most Portugese, but he was an amazing player 571 apps and 585 goals. He was capped only 60 times and had 41 goals for Portugal unbelievable ratio with games/goal.

You do know that is more of a hypocritical statement right? Pele/Muller/Cruyff/Maradona days youngsters worshiped them. Ronaldo/Ramario/Zidane/Dinho youngsters worshiped them, and today Messi/Ronaldo/etc youngster worship them. Its a trend back in Zidane/Ronaldo days people were comparing them to the likes of Pele/Cryuff/Maradona and the people who thought Pele/Muller/Cryuff days were the golden era were saying the exact same thing about Zidane/Ronaldo that you are about Messi/Ronaldo. Today the samething people say about Messi/Ronaldo.

'Cause this is just my opnion but I think those who were born in 70's formed the golden generation of footballers. Many of that gen broke many old records.
    Like Raul becoming the best scorer for Spanish national team and for the UEFA Champions league and Ronaldo the best scorer of World Cup tournaments.
    Owen is the best scorer for English team in the last two decades. Will Rooney even surpass him?
    Figo was chosen to be the best Portuguese footballer six times in a row.
    Kluivert is the leading goalscorer for Holland's national team and he hasn't been playing for the team in 8 years.
    Most FIFA World Player of the Year awards: Ronaldo#9 and Zidane both 3.
    As I said era differ, your not giving the benefit of the doubt to today's players, just as some didn't give it too Roanldo/Ramorio/Zidane era. Your just too stuck up on the era that has already past just as did Pele/Maradona. I don't forget what those people have done, but I give today's players chance and faith to match some of the past legends.

Messi this season has broken so many records at the age of 24 only. Most goals scored by Pele (66) and Muller (67), Messi scored 73 this season. Muller interview on Messi breaking his record (click) Raul had most CL goals scored in a single CL run, which was 12, this season Gomez scored 13 and Messi scored 14. Messi has also been the top CL scorer for 4 straight season, including scoring the most goals in a single CL game 5 (these 5 I don't think came from a single FK/PK) this season. He has scored the most hattricks in La Liga, including the most goals scored in a single season (la liga) passing Alfred and CR7. Ronaldo (#9) hasn't had a season were he reached 50 goals (I think the most was 47 when he played with Barcelona), and Messi has done it 4 season straight. Zindane/Ronaldo won 3 ballon, so has Messi, but he's one them 3 in a row and has a chance at making it 4 and adding to his record. By the time Messi retires he may possibly have 5-6 ballon d'or. CL raul is still top scorer, but in 16-17 season, Messi again in 6-7 season is 3rd top scorer and the rate he's going I wouldn't doubt him holding the most goals scored in CL. Especially since he's averaging 10 goals every CL season for the past 4 years.

Raul had scored 44 goals with Spain, Villa has scored 51 (possible more to come) including winning Euro/WC and being the top scorer there. Villa holds the fastest hattrick scored 3 mins (don't know of all time, but I'm sure fastest among Spainish players).

Rooney is only 26 he still has a good 4-6 years left and is only 11 goals off Owen, I'm sure its possible to reach him, or even pass him.

I'm not undermining these guys here, but you clearly are undermining todays players, I haven't even listed what Ronaldo, Xavi, Ineista, etc have accomplished in this era.

To you and Hawker

Ronaldo (9) thats right he said Messi is the best in the world (click)

^read that article Ronaldo the Brazilian one even acknowledges Messi is the best despite being a Madrid supporter and the rivalry between one anothers nations.

Right on!

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot to mention in my above post that Raul is also Real Madrid's all time top scorer. So everyone can f*ck of with the Messi's, Rooney's and C.Ronaldo's. There's a real striker right there.
    And? Messi is the top scorer for Barcelona already at the age of 24? He'll be only extending the record for others to catch up to in the future.

TBH Hawker I understand were your coming from, but you literally have no faith in the future. The likes of Ozil/Hazard are both being said to be the next Zidane, Neymar is said to be the next Messi. The era moves on today its Messi/Ronaldo/Xavi/Inesita tomorrow it'll be Augero/Silva/Ozil/Fabregas/Hazard/Neymar and than after them someone else, the trend will go on, but if you yourself don't forget what pleasure these guys have shown to us than why care about others? I know what Pele did, Maradona, Cryuff, etc I know the records will be broken and these guys will be surpassed one day or another, but its not a shameful thing. You prefer Ronaldo (9) better, but yet the article I just posted he says Messi is the best.

Opinions will be opinions. I guess you just want to be stuck in the past, and believe no one can surpass the elders, but I myself like to move on to the future. I'm happy with Messi, but tomorrow someone surpass him I won't be sitting there like Pele/Maradona/Ronaldo/Zidane fans and saying no, I'll rise my hands up and be grateful to see someone surpassing the others, its a joy to me. Pele/Muller/Cryuff were the 70s, Maradona/etc was the 80s, Ronaldo/Zidane/etc were the 90s, Messi/Ronaldo/etc are today's, and than they'll be tomorrows gen.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

The other response is too long, so I'll make a new one.

I have been watching Luis Suarez foir the past 4-5 years and this guy is just impressing me. His performance for Uruguay is mind blowing. Finishing 4th at WC10 and making Germany/Netherlands work for their victory, the Copa America victory beating Brasil/Argentina to it. Uruguay just had a game VS Chile and they were down 2-0, but ended up winning 6-4 were Suarez scored a hattrick and got a PK which Cavani took.

I mean honestly Liverpool need to sign players to support him, or at least get a real frigging danger man not that pathetic Carrol. Suarez is just wasting his time there. I would rather have him move to Juventus, as they seem more promising and Suarez in the squad can make it explosive. AT least they made their first signing, Fabio Borini from Roma.

The Olympics are coming and to me I have a feeling Uruguay may take it, it would be huge for them as they won Copa last year and perhaps gold medal this year, but they will probably finish among the top 3 for sure (I hope).

Its good to see this from Uruguay they were the first nation to hold the WC in 1930. A very promising side.

Last edited by ReLax -; 07-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

@Relax-

Well your reasoning and logic about me is a bit flawed. As I think Pele is yes greater than Zidane, Ronaldo9 etc..but I also think Zidane is greater than Maradona...Cryuff is better than Ronaldo, but imo Ronaldo is better than most known scorers during 70's and 80's. So I do believe that new talents can surpass elders.

But you're partly right, I'm bit of an age racist lol, and I tend to get stuck on the past. But it's not all about stubborness 'cause I have my reasons as well. I just honestly think Zidane is better than Iniesta and that Iniesta isn't near his level.

I never denied Messi being a great player. I admit he's the best player today. But Ronaldo saying he's the best of current players doesn't actually tell anyone that he'd actually be better than what Ronaldo was.

And woah I didn't know Raul has been replaced as the top scorer by Villa. Well he still holds two top 1 positions in goal scoring.

Btw I'm not undermining today's players, but I honestly think that in some way the level of today's football's entertainment and players skills has gone down. I didn't enjoy this summers EURO as much as I did enjoy competitions ten years ago. Maybe it's just me though, I dunno.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

@Hawker

I prefer Maradona over all TBH. Pele, Ronaldo,and Zidane had fantastic teams national and club wise, were as Maradona single handily took Napoli to the top and an average Argentina side to the WC final twice including winning one. In his time at Napoli he elevated the team to the most successful era in its history. Napoli won their only Serie A Italian Championships in 1986/87 and 1989/1990, placing second in the league twice, in 1987/88 and 1988/89. Also in that era at Napoli he won the Coppa Italia in 1987, second place in the Coppa Italia in 1989, the UEFA Cup in 1989 and the Italian Supercup in 1990. Maradona was the top scorer in Serie A in 1987/88. His second goal VS England in 86 WC was voted the best goal in WC history and in 2002 they named it the goal of the century. This is personally why I hail Maradona as the best of them all.

I'm not saying its stubbornness. As I said before not yet, but I can see him getting there, personally my opinion ever since Zidane the most interesting/entertaining midfielder I seen is Iniesta.

"But there is no doubt that Messi is the best player in the world." Is what Ronaldo said, so he wasn't speaking of just current players.

Yes, Villa passed him this year, or maybe last year I know he hit the 50 mark this year. As I said Raul has played for 17 years now, when others reach that they may have as much or more. Raul played 102 games for Spain scoring 44, while Villa played 82 scoring 51.

Blame that on the media, critics, and us fans. I still like the entertainment from players, but the competition has become the major disappointment.

Me and Escorps spoke about this a little we first spoke about WC10 when Netherlands played Brasil with such defensive approach, people praised them media, fans etc, but when they put a boring performance VS Spain in the final and lost with that tactic people criticized them for it. The same with Germany this Euro as Escorp was telling me people asked Leow why he didn't play Klose instead of Gomez, but Gomez was third top scorer in Europe this season and top scorer in the Euro, if he played Klose and the result were the same than the media would have asked why he didn't play Gomez

Chelsea CL run they played so defensively and made their semi and final so boring to watch. It stop such offensive and talented side like Barcelona/Bayern from actually playing their game. I mean even when Greece played like that VS Germany the same guy who commentated the Chelsea game called it heroism etc, but he criticized/insulted Greece for it. The game were Barcelona thrashed Madrid 5-0 was amazing, Bayern VS Madrid was good to watch, the Barcelona VS Madrid Espana last summer was hot also to watch. These games I like, but sadly today its about only victory doesn't matter how it comes Barcelona/Spain play amazing, but other teams play effects them i.e. parking the bus and makes matches boring.

I mean look at the Euros Spain won without a #9 or #7. They had no true strikers, but yet the world looks at it they didn't play too good, well obviously they didn't a striker.

The thing with Barcelona/Spain is they stick to their gameplay win, lose, or draw. I mean even when they lose they seem to have been the better team.

France hit out at England playing so defensively yet they did the same when playing Spain in the QF.

I don't have a problem with defence, but you want to play it than go ahead play like the real "Catenaccio" not parking the bus and having 11 people in the PK box, or even not even trying to get the ball.

Thats the difference today, people would rather play to win than play to entertain and win like it was back in the days, and its all to do with the media, critics and us today compared to than.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

@Relax-

About Maradona, I've always thought that his goal against England from halfway of the field is highly overrated as the defenders did such a lousy job stopping him. If you look at the defenders closely one is jogging nearly for the whole run behind Maradona lol. Imo Owen's goal in '98 WC against Argentina was more awesome.

I really doubt Ronaldo meant that Messi is the all time best player, 'cause he couldnt've possibly meant he's better than Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Cryuff.
    Otherwise he would've said "all time best player" or "best player ever" instead of "best player in the world". To me the latter means best player of currently playing players. 'Cause you can't call retired men football players anymore 'cause it's not their profession anymore.

And good analyze on about the game of today in whole. I agree fully, although I'm not into analyzing it that deeply. But it sounds like what I've been witnessing in the last few years. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks likle something has gone wrong.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

Quote Originally Posted by ReLax - View Post
    To you and Hawker

Ronaldo (9) thats right he said Messi is the best in the world (click)

^read that article Ronaldo the Brazilian one even acknowledges Messi is the best despite being a Madrid supporter and the rivalry between one anothers nations.
    did he mean the best player ever ? NO, he mean the best player in the world(currently).

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Overrated? I don't think so. The defender behind Maradona had it right, but the fact was no one could stop him. The defender behind Maradona kept pressure on him, which was his job and I think that person was a midfielder rather than defender. The other defenders tried, but couldn't stop him because he dribbled the ball beautifully and he took the shot from a wide angle, which they wouldn't have predicted to go in. That goal itself held a lot of merit. Argentina and England had a war which England won (I forgot over what). It led to this suspension SF, and Maradona that goal led to the victory, which led them to the finals were they won WC for the second time, which was 2 out of 3 for them in that era. Owen goal wasn't all that. It holds a lot because it was some what a revenge for them from 86 WC, but either way not like they won anything after it.

Everyone has an opinion right? Perhaps Ronaldo meant it we don't know. Ronaldo said "Messi is the best in the world." truth be told, nor did he say anything including the past, and/or present players. They can still be called players, because they played the game ie: Pele/Maradona are the two best players in football history. Its always their profession, a man can retire from the game, but never from football itself. Cruyff/Pep both think Messi is the best in history of football. If Ronaldo thinks like that I wouldn't doubt it. From his statement I don't see anything referring to today/current/etc. I don't mean to say that he means he is the best of all time, but nothing like that is referred in his statement.

Thanks, its just a summary anyways, but its just the truth, I guess people are more intimidated by Spain/Barcelona style now and never play their actually game when facing them.

did he mean the best player ever ? NO, he mean the best player in the world(currently).
    And where did you read that he said currently? Oh yeah you made that up, he said, "Messi is the best in the world." Nothing regrading today/current was mentioned in there.

Last edited by ReLax -; 07-13-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

And where did you read that he said currently? Oh yeah you made that up, he said, "Messi is the best in the world." Nothing regrading today/current was mentioned in there.
    and nothing was mentioned that he is the best player ever, "messi is the best in the world" you don't seriously think that Messi>All Footballer that ever exist in the world.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

and nothing was mentioned that he is the best player ever, "messi is the best in the world" you don't seriously think that Messi>All Footballer that ever exist in the world.
    And now I know your a failure in reading responses. Where did I state Messi is the best "ever". You said Messi has nothing on Ronaldo and I showed you an article were Ronaldo acknowledges Messi as the best, in that article nor did he compare him to the current and/or past players, so don't twist this story on me and/or assume things.

Anyways for your question...Messi is the best today, so Messi>all footballers today. As far as going to say the best ever will only find that out once he retires and what we see him accomplish at the time, so he has the capabilities/time of surpassing all before him.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

And now I know your a failure in reading responses. Where did I state Messi is the best "ever". You said Messi has nothing on Ronaldo and I showed you an article were Ronaldo acknowledges Messi as the best, in that article nor did he compare him to the current and/or past players, so don't twist this story on me and/or assume things.

Anyways for your question...Messi is the best today, so Messi>all footballers today. As far as going to say the best ever will only find that out once he retires and what we see him accomplish at the time, so he has the capabilities/time of surpassing all before him.
    and nor did he compare messi to himself you did know ronaldo is already retired right ? so he practically acknowledge messi as the best player in the world nowadays

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Messi has surpassed Ronaldo anyway, though Ronaldo remains the best pure striker I think i've ever seen. Pele, well he was playing in a weak league, and thus i'd say Maradona is before him. Zidane was brilliant too but Messi has overtaken him aswell. So we've got Maradona and Pele as the first and second placed players (IMO), followed by Messi. Ronaldo, Cruyff, Zidane, Van Basten, Muller, Beckenbauer (Though not really an attacking player), Platini (not in order btw) have all been surpassed by Lionel Messi, though it's hard to compare because they all play in different positions.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

and nor did he compare messi to himself you did know ronaldo is already retired right ? so he practically acknowledge messi as the best player in the world nowadays
    And once again he didn't mention nowadays...

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well, this is kind of late, but for those who don't know Iniesta has gotten married to his long time girlfriend, Anna Ortiz.

Here are some pics of the wedding/gathering.

Shakira wasn't here, so Puyol offered to take Pique

Well wish them both a happy marriage.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well, this is kind of late, but for those who don't know Iniesta has gotten married to his long time girlfriend, Anna Ortiz.

Here are some pics of the wedding/gathering.

Shakira wasn't here, so Puyol offered to take Pique

Well wish them both a happy marriage.
    Yeah, of course. May them have a happy long marriage.

Buut, still, Messi was the most handsome guy of the wedding.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

And once again he didn't mention nowadays...
    and once again he didn't mention messi is better than him

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

and once again he didn't mention messi is better than him
    And he said Messi is the best in the world.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

And he said Messi is the best in the world.
    guess what ? Ronaldo is not a footballer anymore

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

guess what ? Ronaldo is not a footballer anymore
    Guess what? When Messi isn't a footballer anymore he'll be miles pass Ronaldo.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    meager endeavour

Guess what? When Messi isn't a footballer anymore he'll be miles pass Ronaldo.
    its just you speculating, but who know ?

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Transfers:

So, AC Milan lost Thaigo Silva to PSG and Ibra may also be signing with them (I think he already did if i'm not wrong) in the next couple of weeks at least

Silva should have came to Barcelona, but Milan wouldn't allow it instead they sell him to PSG.

PSG also signed Lavezzi for 26 million and Silva for 33 million. I'm not sure what Ibra cost them, or will cost them. They are also pursuing Suarez, Cavani, Torres, or Higuain.

United want to make 2 more signings between Leighton Baines, Robin Van Persie, Lucas Moura and Joao Moutinho. They will hear from Baines next week and most likely he may sign leaving them with one spot opened and SAF is keen on getting Moutinho.

RVP is either going to United or City, with City obviously leading the race. City has been told their spending days are over and need to sell in order to receive. I heard Tevez deal with Milan is going on and should be done in the next week or so opening a move for RVP. Ibra is leaving (most likely), so Tevez deal will be good for Milan, but if the deal flops they may have to sell Dezko instead, Dezko is also wanted by Bayern.

Moura saga is going on still with Madrid and United leading the race, but Moura seems to care more about the salary than the transfer fee, he wants a reported amount of £120,000. This will put SAF off and give Madrid the chance to sign him.

Hence why SAF is after Moutinho, but Spurs also want him, so Moutinho can see himself playing under AVB again. Moutinho will cost around £30 million.

Modric has agreed terms with Madrid, but is still facing problems as Sahin doesn't want to depart, especially to Spurs. Modric is also still being chased by Chelsea and PSG.

Porto Hulk, still not too sure of rumours going around Chelsea wants him and he also states he's going there, but than says he heard nothing about it.

Ganso wants out of Santos alerting a lot of top clubs, but he for some reason doesn't want to leave Brasil just yet due to him assuming it may effect his chances playing for Brasil in WC14. Hr recently did expresses his desire to keep going with Santos.

Neymar, fate will be decided in Olympics, his performance may spark, or disappoint may want him to get better hence moving to Europe. Neymar has expressed his admiration for Messi and Iniesta, but he also said he liked watching Ozil play. He will either be going to Barcelona and/or Madrid.

Robinho could leave Milan also. Cesar and Reina are both wanted by Milan as their starting GK.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Transfers:

So, AC Milan lost Thaigo Silva to PSG and Ibra may also be signing with them (I think he already did if i'm not wrong) in the next couple of weeks at least

Silva should have came to Barcelona, but Milan wouldn't allow it instead they sell him to PSG.

PSG also signed Lavezzi for 26 million and Silva for 33 million. I'm not sure what Ibra cost them, or will cost them. They are also pursuing Suarez, Cavani, Torres, or Higuain.

United want to make 2 more signings between Leighton Baines, Robin Van Persie, Lucas Moura and Joao Moutinho. They will hear from Baines next week and most likely he may sign leaving them with one spot opened and SAF is keen on getting Moutinho.

RVP is either going to United or City, with City obviously leading the race. City has been told their spending days are over and need to sell in order to receive. I heard Tevez deal with Milan is going on and should be done in the next week or so opening a move for RVP. Ibra is leaving (most likely), so Tevez deal will be good for Milan, but if the deal flops they may have to sell Dezko instead, Dezko is also wanted by Bayern.

Moura saga is going on still with Madrid and United leading the race, but Moura seems to care more about the salary than the transfer fee, he wants a reported amount of £120,000. This will put SAF off and give Madrid the chance to sign him.

Hence why SAF is after Moutinho, but Spurs also want him, so Moutinho can see himself playing under AVB again. Moutinho will cost around £30 million.

Modric has agreed terms with Madrid, but is still facing problems as Sahin doesn't want to depart, especially to Spurs. Modric is also still being chased by Chelsea and PSG.

Porto Hulk, still not too sure of rumours going around Chelsea wants him and he also states he's going there, but than says he heard nothing about it.

Ganso wants out of Santos alerting a lot of top clubs, but he for some reason doesn't want to leave Brasil just yet due to him assuming it may effect his chances playing for Brasil in WC14. Hr recently did expresses his desire to keep going with Santos.

Neymar, fate will be decided in Olympics, his performance may spark, or disappoint may want him to get better hence moving to Europe. Neymar has expressed his admiration for Messi and Iniesta, but he also said he liked watching Ozil play. He will either be going to Barcelona and/or Madrid.

Robinho could leave Milan also. Cesar and Reina are both wanted by Milan as their starting GK.
    Torres is leaving Chelsea?

And how would Neymar be transferred to Madrid if he won't change his hairstyle? lol, those arrogant pricks.

Status
    Jan 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Torres is leaving Chelsea?

And how would Neymar be transferred to Madrid if he won't change his hairstyle? lol, those arrogant pricks.
    He's on there list like many others lol If Chelsea signs Hulk or Cavani I think he'll leave as he wasn't to impressive in Euros and may not be next season, but who knows. PSG also want Kaka and many others.

lol Well, supposedly Mourinho wants him to change his haircut, but i see him Barcelona bond, it all depends since his rivalry with Messi is heating up due to many Brazilian claiming either he's better, or will be better not sure if under influence he may go to Madrid. Madrid is also tied with many Brazilians and have plenty of money, so now a days many Brazlian are after the money, so Barcelona may lose out, just like Madrid stole Di Stefano in the 50's from us and of course the Spain politics supported them, but today is different as they don't have much political support, so who knows.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diamond In The Rough!

Neymar Going To Fc Barcelona.

First off, it is worth remembering that the Neymar to Barcelona rumours are not original, and not new. Last year there were whispers that a deal was done but nothing happened, and before long the talented youngster signed a new deal with Santos that could in theory keep him in Brazil until 2015.

Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean much; any club wanting to sign Neymar was always going to have to pay an astronomical fee but what it does point to is how engrained he is at Santos – a club that has abandoned its futsal and women’s side in order to finance his wage packet and one that has all but abandoned fellow starlet Ganso in order to build a team around their brightest prospect.

The latter, once believed to be the man who could help Brazil to World Cup glory on home soil in 2014, will soon leave Santos having fallen out dramatically with the club’s board. Neymar is by far and away the club’s highest earner, while Ganso, linked with a move to Tottenham and Chelsea, is the second-lowest paid player in the first team.

And therein lies the first stumbling block. Barcelona do not have €60 million to spend on Neymar. They do not have €6 million to spend on Neymar judging by their most recent set of accounts.

For all their grandeur on the pitch Barca have something of a grubby secret off it in as much as they have a mountain of debt building up - €578 million to be exact.

While that figure is somewhat warped by bewilderingly confusing accounting jargon and technicalities the club are far from where they want to be financially and that has had an impact on the pitch.

Last summer Barcelona's vice-president of finance Javier Faus revealed the club had a transfer budget of around €40 million, while also revealing the club’s main focus was on reducing levels of debt. Cesc Fabregas and Alexis Sanchez arrived last summer, both costing more than the budget mentioned by Faus but sales of the likes of Bojan Krkic and Zlatan Ibrahimovic meant their net spend was only around €10 million. All indications so far suggest this summer could be a quiet one at the Nou Camp.

Jordi Alba has signed on the dotted line for a bargain €14 million while a new centre-back is required, but aside from that few expect much business to be done this summer.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the deal is the role Neymar’s marketability could play in a transfer, something which could justify such a large fee. It is interesting to note that, despite completely over-shadowing rivals Real Madrid in terms of silverware won in recent years, Barcelona still cannot hold a candle to the revenue generated by Los Blancos, who are the only club in the world to make over £400 million a year.

And what is it that sets Jose Mourinho’s side apart from their rivals? The second generation of Galacticos.

President Florentino Perez appears to have no qualms about forking over mammoth transfer fees for the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema. Together Madrid paid over €180 million for the three and a further €100 million for Xabi Alonso, Angel di Maria, Mesut Ozil and Fabio Coentrao.

Madrid’s approach banks on the marketability of the likes of Ronaldo and Kaka, two of the most popular players in terms of social media it is worth noting, and monetising their popularity. Risky it may be but it appears to be working if their record €135 million in commercial revue for 2010 is anything to go by – while their record breaking media and match day revenue also feeds off the popularity of their stars.

Barcelona are hardly paupers in this region but they haven’t quite exploited the model as Madrid have. Messi is a global figure and helps his club’s profitability like few others could, but it is here the arrival of Neymar makes most sense.

Ranked as the most marketable athlete on the planet by SportsPro, Neymar is already an icon in his home country and has a growing legion of fans around the world. The Brazilian and Barcelona appear a match made in heaven and can service one another's needs - and with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil looming on the horizon, his worth to both club and country looks set to sky rocket.

Interestingly the arrival of Neymar at Barcelona could be facilitated by Nike, the Catalan club’s shirt sponsor. Despite their own galaxy of stars only a few of the high profile players are Nike athletes. In 2006 Messi singed with Adidas while David Villa is also associated with the German brand, as is Xavi. Cesc Fabregas recently ditched Nike to sign with Puma.

Neymar, young talented and with sponsorship deals up to his eyeballs would represent the perfect player to help Barcelona become the greatest side off the pitch as well as on it.

In this respect the fact that club president Sandro Rosell spent six years working with Nike to promote the brand in Brazil will obviously help lubricate the wheels of any deal.

Barcelona aren’t known for astronomic transfer fees like Madrid but the acquisition of Neymar, who makes around £8.5 million a year through sponsorship deals with Unilever, Panasonic and of course Nike, would certainly make long-term sense, and will certainly make them a more attractive proposition to potential investors as well as open up a new market of fans in South America.

The involvement of Banco de Brazil, who currently pay some of Neymar’s wages at Santos, should also open up a few new doors.

Back on the football pitch is where the deal starts to get a little less certain. It was another Brazilian, Ronaldinho, who was forced out of the club in order to make room for Messi to take centre stage and drive the club to glory, and how Neymar fits in with that is unclear.

Would he fit in well with Barca’s well honed style of play? Sanchez, a South America, joined last summer and did well despite injuries, but would Neymar shine if he is not the star of the show and forced to fit into a system rather than have one built around him like he does at Santos?

There would certainly be no usurping Messi, who has just enjoyed the greatest goal scoring season Europe has ever seen. When Santos and Barcelona met at the Club World Cup final in December 2011, there was only one winner between both teams and only one winner between Neymar and Messi. It was 4-0 to Barca and 2-0 to Messi.

There are also suggestions Neymar is a player for the YouTube generation; perfect for short clips but his overall contribution is lacking.

Despite reaching the Copa Librtadores semi-final and winning Sao Paolo’s regional league, the Campeonato Paulista, Santos have struggled in the national league having won just one of their opening nine fixtures.

Neymar has only played three times, scoring twice. He has been accused of going missing for large spells during games. A scorer of easy on the eye goals, sure, but at the moment not a man who can be relied on to win games and make a difference constantly. Then there are doubts over his personality, which has been known to rub team-mates up the wrong way.

With the unassuming Messi and Andres Iniesta on board, that simply isn’t the Barca way.

Despite that there were some suggestions that part of the reason that Pep Guardiola quit as manager at the Nou Camp was in part down to his constant battles with Rosell over the signing of Neymar and other targets; now he is out of the picture and the much more malleable Tito Vilanova, who doesn’t have years of success to use as the final word, is in charge it may be easier to make a move happen.

The rumours this week suggest that Neymar could stay in Santos for another season before joining up with Barcelona for the start of the 2013/14, one year before he takes centre-stage on home soil at the World Cup.

There appears to be little foundation in reports that a deal has been done or is even close but there is certainly fertile ground for a deal to happen. When or if it happens is unclear, but perhaps the silly season where action on the pitch takes a back seat for a month or so does have its worth.

This was posted by cesc fabregas on his official Facebook page and has been posted on euro sport and Google links.